Mother Hens, Dudes, Geeks...

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Nazreen, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What do mother hens, jokers, cool dudes, cheerleaders, realists, links, geeks and innovators have in common? Well according to business psychologist Honey Langcaster-James, these characters comprise the ideal team that will play an important role in giving reassurance and motivation in the workplace especially during these times - in a recession.

What do you think? It's not properly tested yet so there's no verification that it works.

Read the full article here.

2. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Wow Nazreen ,,It is a very good concept, A nice identification of essentials in workplace condotion..
    But I think it is more of a concept than a reality because it is very difficult to find all of them at a one place...
    I also doubt compatibility issues between them as the quote goes

3. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Interesting! And I can honestly think of at least one place I worked that had all of them. As far as compatibility goes, it can cause problems when for example the realist can't stand the cheerleader or joker. Differing natures often result in personality clashes so it's important for everyone to see that the differences complement rather than detract from the working environment. Not all customers are the same either and that's where the "birds of a feather" often comes in when they're drawn to the employee most like themselves.

4. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, there will definitely be personality clashes especially for those that are opposites just like the Geek vs the Cool Dude, the Realist vs the Innovator.

But then again, that is why the Mother Hen and the Link are also there in the team. Who better to iron these minor clashes than the one who most people approach - the Mother Hen, and the one who's everyone's friend - the Link.

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I can see a bit of myself in all of those, but the one I'm closest to is probably Realist. Which one are you?

6. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

For myself, I think I'm a combination of the Link, the Joker and the Cheerleader and also in that particular order. It's nice to be the Link because I can talk to almost anyone and not just a particular group. Sometimes I'm asked to take sides though and this can cause problems.

7. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'd say Mother Hen with a dash of Realist plus some Geek and Innovator thrown in for good measure.

8. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would describe myself as the cool dude + cheerleader+link+geek+innovator..:rolleyes:
    I guess I have mentioned too many but I have one or two traits of everybody with strongest one as Cheerleader +geek +innovator....

9. flashgordonweb

flashgordonweb
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Another spin on archetypes. These are great for looking at the overall or broad picture, but it is always important to remember that no one every fits these roles exactly. They are based on statistical averages, so when you begin to break the average down you find that the archetype only exists in the whole, not the individual.

10. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Good point, flashgordonweb. I think too a lot of it can be dependent on your age and circumstances at any given moment. I'd have said I was a Cheerleader in my early twenties doing a job I loved but in my thirties when I was in one I didn't, I was more of a Realist than anything because I didn't have the same enthusiasm for it.

11. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Flash do you think that this kind of personality type analysis can help us learn more about ourselves as individuals?

I recently completed a well regarded personality test. I answered as honestly as possible, but the results described a person that I didn't think was me.

12. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I tried this one recently based on which is based on Jung and Myer-Briggs assessment techniques. It tells you what type of business/career suits you best.

I don't think any of these will ever capture us 100% for the reasons flashgordonweb mentioned but any I've done I've found to be pretty good guides overall. Others I couldn't see myself reflected in at all either, Fergal.

13. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I tried that one Kay, as regards career it gives me the following, I tried to answer the questions honestly, but I don't feel that I'm the natural leader it says I am;

14. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have also taken this test & I find results are precise to my career & personality to a fair degree....As it is predicted about my study method--
    My way is much similar to that described above,....

15. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

That's also true for me, if I need to study something in-depth. If find it impossible to study in a noisy or busy area.

16. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm like that too. I can't concentrate if there's a TV or music or even a conversation going on in the same room. My husband's the opposite, he needs some kind of background noise to focus. Hence why our computers are in separate rooms. :D

You'd have struck me as a natural leader type, Fergal. I'm surprised you don't see that quality in yourself. Not because I think you'd like to call the shots, but because you handle people and situations very well judging by what you do here. You seem to have a very diplomatic while at the same time assertive manner to me. :)

17. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks Kay, compliments are always welcomed. All I need do now is turn that into an astounding business success. :)

18. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would also say that you're a leader type Fergal. I think the personality test is right on when it said that you're a Fieldmarshal (ENTJ).

By the way, my test said that I'm a Mastermind (INTJ). I tend to make plans too but calling me a Mastermind in my opinion is too much.