More using Facebook than Google now in the US

Discussion in 'Social Media for Business' started by Kay, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Article.

I never thought I'd see the day that anybody beat Google in that respect. Never say never. :)

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

It's interesting that Google's number one slot has been taken by a business that not everyone would have considered to be one of their direct competitors. There is a lesson to be learned from the fact that it was not a traditional search engine that beat them, but something new, innovative and with a different approach.

Alexa still shows Google in their number one spot globally and in the US.

3. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Basically, Google and Facebook are two different sites. They both have different functions to a web surfer or internet user.
    So I do think that Google will not be bothered by this.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I don't have the inside scoop on Google, so you may be right. But I'm not too sure. It's good to be number one and I don't think anyone likes to be overtaken for the number one position.

Google and FaceBook are different sites but they do compete in some areas. E.g. someone with a limited advertising budget will make a choice as to whether they will spend that budget on FaceBook ads or on Google Adsense ads. People also find new sites through shared links and recommendations by their friends on FaceBook, in the past these people would have found all of their new sites on Google - again there is an element of competition there.

5. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'd tend to agree with Fergal on this one. Google certainly won't be keen on the idea of anyone challenging for their crown, though I'm sure you won't hear anyone in Mountain View saying it in public.

As we change the way we use 'social media', it has drastic impacts on our other behaviour. If you look at the recent fall of Bloglines (an RSS aggregater), it put the 'blame' squarely on social media (I'd suggest it had as much to do with not keeping pace with google reader/feedly/etc, but that's a debate for another day,but there's no doubt that many have moved away from RSS readers to simply relying on social media bringing the stories worth reading directly to them). It clearly shows how what in appearance are non competing sectors do directly impact on one another.

6. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Sorry, GekiDan, you're outnumbered here. :) I'm siding with Paul and Fergal.

They may not be a search engine, but they can hit Google hard in another way: advertising revenue. If money starts being ploughed into Facebook ads rather than Google Ads, they could be hurt bad.

Prediction was that social media ad spending will be $1.7 billion in 2010. Facebook getting the lion's share of that, at around $1.1 billion of revenue for 2010, is "not being far off" according to Mark Zuckerberg. That's all money being diverted away from big G. You can read about the number crunching in the article.

http://venturebeat.com/2010/08/16/social-network-ad-spending-to-hit-1-7-billion-in-2010/

7. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

LOL Kay! I know I'm outnumbered since you guys have more experience/knowledge on this than me.:p
    Anyways, I kinda forgot about the advertising aspect of both sites, FB Ads and Adwords, wherein they compete with each other. And after reading Fergal's posts, I think that Google might indeed take some steps to get back on their throne as the number 1 site in the internet.

8. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Did you just call me OLD??? [​IMG] :mad: [​IMG]

I think they will for sure. We knew they were in the market for a social networking service too, remember, back in July. When August came along, they bought SocialDeck, Slide, Jambool and Angstro. All these companies would be relevant to any social gaming site plans.

It works both ways. If they can lure away loyal Facebook fans they get the benefit of them seeing their ads and not Facebook's. I think things will heat up faster than most of us can keep track of. :)

9. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Eric Schmidt actually made some (vague) comments about "Google Me" (google's new 'social layer' as he described it) at the Google Zeitgeist conference yesterday, confirming that it will be coming in fall.

It'll be interesting to see exactly how they try and tackle the venture (they have huge potential there being able to tie it in with their existing services where the interlinking can be beneficial). Trying to compete with FB certainly wouldn't be easy, but if the past has thought us anything it's that the guy at the top can't be complacent (think google vs. yahoo, facebook vs. bebo from the past) and that if you provide a service people value they are willing to use more than one platform (facebook and linkedin, for example).

10. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I didn't call you one. It's just you assuming it. :p
    Lucky for me to be on this site since I learned alot from experienced members like you and Fergal. :)

11. Jahan Choudhry

Jahan Choudhry
    uix_expand uix_collapse

1. Google have been on the move and have teamed up with youtube.

2. A new site has come out called "diaspora"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/pda/2010/sep/16/diaspora-facebook-privacy-social-network

The irony of that article is you can see the "f" (facebook) icon to recommend the article to your friends, thus promote the demise of facebook! (Grin).

Anyway the biggest beneficiary of competition is the consumer.

I really am glad that facebook came as I never was a friend of myspace which I found too wild and in your face in terms of the extravagant interface options.

P.S. If anyone wants to chat to me on facebook, just google "Jahan Choudhry". You're all more than welcome.

12. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Sounds like a good project Jahan. I'm impressed at the way they have focused on privacy. Privacy is one of the main concerns that many people have regarding FaceBook and it is very clever for the team at Diaspora to focus on that is their USP. It's also interesting that they have a FaceBook page with over 30,000 fans.

13. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'd never heard of Diaspora until now but I like how they think. I'd be interested in checking that out when it's ready to be launched. As Paul said earlier, there's always room for one more.

14. Jahan Choudhry

Jahan Choudhry
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The irony is just amazingly funny.

15. Cathy Duncan

Cathy Duncan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

With apology to the American Social circles: Well, it’s because American society seems quite desperate due to work and work only! Their social life is just limited to weekends when they try enjoying their lives, but on the contrary, social lives of other prevailing regions is soothing, because they use to manage their time, then assign time to their work, family, friends and other associates accordingly. It is perhaps because they know that only earning is not life, there are also some associations.

16. navast2010

navast2010
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In fact, I use both facebook and google, but i like them ,sometimes i like to use google to search someting i want to know, i think google is still a wonderful search engine, so i like it.

17. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In theory improving security is a great idea, but I'm not sure Diaspora will be able to mount a serious challenge given the user issues that their proposal causes. There are just far too many negatives from a technical view for it to work for the mass market.

Nice idea and I like what they're trying to achieve, I'm just not sure if they're bringing it in the right direction to achieve the real end goal of giving people a viable, secure, alternative.

18. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I haven't spent enough time in the US to know if this is true or not. However, my impression from a holiday there, is that Americans enjoyed their social life quite well - by eating out and visiting pubs in the evenings, participating in sport and having barbecues on the weekends. Unfortunately during the Celtic Tiger in Ireland, I feel that we lost a lot of our sociability and were too much focused around work and earning money. The negative impact of the recession will probably impact on this social dynamic again. I'd be interested to hear a little more as to why you believe Americans have worse social lives than other nations.

Apologies for going off topic.

19. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'd like to hear more too because that's certainly not my experience either. Americans are very sociable and welcoming people. There's always something going on that you're extended invitations to. If I took up every invitation I received, I'd never get anything done.

If you want to talk about a work obsessed nation, look to Japan. They even have a word, Karoshi, which means death by overwork. There's a prize winning article here about it.