More Public Speaking - Dealing with Nervousness

Discussion in 'Articles & Tutorials' started by howdoi, Jul 9, 2010.

1. howdoi

howdoi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Being Nervous. It happens.

Ask the nervous presenter if they know what the point of getting up in front of the audience is. I initially focus on two things when teaching a seminar.

Number One, your job is to pass on information. It doesn't matter what you look like, if you have a "funny" voice, or if your hands are sweaty. Nobody can really see your hands, and looks don't matter unless you are a fashion model. You are on company time, and if you can't get the message across, what use are you to the organization? Is that a harsh approach? You bet it is. But the reality is that we are all adults, getting paid to do a job. If you don't speak, the bosses can find someone who will. And when it comes time for a raise, promotion, or (*gulp!) a layoff, you want to be remembered as the guy/gal who Got It Done.

Number Two, being scared is natural. It's part of what makes us human. But take a second to ask yourself a few questions. If I am giving a speech, a) Will the floor or ceiling collapse, thus killing or injuring me? If no, then it's not the physical environment that is scaring you. b) Will your co-workers yell and laugh at you? Is the boss going to order everyone to point and make fun of you? If no, then it's not the people that are scaring you. c) Are you stupid, unskilled, or just a run of the mill idiot? If you can answer no to these three questions, silly though they are, then start asking, what the hell is it that really makes me scared?

As we are all different, I can't easily give a one size fits all solution to the problem of public speaking fear. There are other things that I address, but this is the way that I break the ice when faced with a group of worried strangers.

Nor can I say with confidence that others will agree with me. This is all based on MY experience in speaking, and teaching people to speak. But I would hope that either the first part, fear of being fired is greater than fear of speaking, or the second part, a quick self assessment, may help you just a little.

Please note, if you were brave enough to watch the new Star Wars movies, and didn't vomit when JarJar appeared on screen, then I KNOW that you are brave enough to conquer your fear of public speaking.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Great suggestions there howdoi. I used a similar approach to face my fears in the past, I kept asking myself what was I really afraid of and what was the worst that could happen. When I realised what was the very worst thing that could happen, it really didn't seem that scary any more - the process did a lot to allay my fears.

Sometimes when we analyse our fears we realise that what we are really afraid of is not something that we were conscious of, or thought that we are afraid of. When you get right down to it, you will often notice that what you are really afraid of, is what other people will think of you. And that is nothing to be afraid of at all.

I was at some weddings recently and two of the speakers who really impressed me, told me that they were really really nervous before and during their speeches. The strange thing was that no one noticed they were nervous and their delivery was great. Even if you are nervous when you are on your feet, remember that you are probably doing a much better job than you think you are.

3. Barney

Barney
    uix_expand uix_collapse

When I was on different courses in the Army we had to give talks to the rest of the class. The first few times this was very nerve recking. here is some advice that we got.
    1. Select someone to go over your talk with.

2. Break your talk up into different sections. This will enable you to drop a section if you are running out of time. or you can add a section to fill in time.

3. Time yourself and when finished compare the time it took to give the talk and what you had set for it. This will help you when planning you next one.

4. Believe in what you say and your right to say it. Remember you have a right to your opinions dont be afaird to speak up.

5. After the talk ask your friend for their honest opinion

6 Learn from each talk and keep improving

4. MatthewOlszewski

MatthewOlszewski
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think, being nervous before the public, it is something normal and there is nothing wrong with that. At the beginning of my studies I was very nervous before speech my powerpoint presentation. With practice, I was getting easier to control the stress, maybe even I liked public speaking.

5. LogansWalk

LogansWalk
    uix_expand uix_collapse

After all of these years I still get nervous before a public speaking engagement, always seem to do all right and go on cruise control but not one of my favorite things.

6. manishsqrt

manishsqrt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Nervousness is a psychological aspect, buddha's theory is meaningful here, he said craving is due to ignorance, lack of knowledge, nervousness is a type of craving, expecting best result when you have nothing to give, when you know you are confident.

• Like Like x 1
  7. tsubibo

tsubibo
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Isn't the number one fear of people is public speaking? Ranks higher than dying and it is quite justified IMHO. People who don't have that much confidence usually cracks with the pressure.