More Content = More Traffic?

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by Redd, Jul 4, 2015.

1. Redd

Redd
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is one of the myths which many webmasters wish could turn out to be true. But is it?

The logic behind that argument is: each new article posted on a blog, website, etc will draw in more traffic. Theoretically, depending on good you are at promoting your content each time you post a new article, video, etc you'll get lots of site visitors some of whom will get to be regular visitors. And they in turn will tell there friends about your site. Traffic to your site keeps growing exponentially each time you post new content, huh?

Am I the only who thinks this strategy wouldn't work that well?

Does anyone here believe that posting more and more content [regardless of its quality] will get your site tons of traffic and as a result make a lot of money?

2. P.Skinner

P.Skinner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The typical website depends heavily on search traffic, which in turn depends heavily on what Google is doing. So no only is "quality" a very important issue, you have to keep an eye on what Google's automatic algorithms are counting as quality.

A case in point are all the content sites like writedge and Squidoo and Infobarrel. They became packed to the gunnels with poor quality content and Google cut them off by demoting their ranks. Only Hubpages is sort of holding on by radically changing the kinds of material they accept.

Honestly I think real quality (stuff real people like) is the best long term strategy. But right now for Google that includes material that is original, not on adult/drug/gambling and not overly spammy--as a bottom line.

3. SpikeTheLobster

SpikeTheLobster
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Freshness and updates are definitely a part of Google's ranking system - I believe Matt Cutts has said as much. But there's a huge difference between just updating and updating with good content. Quality is extremely important, and quantity isn't going to make a big difference if everything you post is crap.

That said, regular new content is generally preferable to none at all. :)

That's an interesting thought. I don't believe it's why they suffered, though - it seems far more likely to me that they never ranked on the engines because they're just too wide-ranging. There's no common thread, there's no common subject - it's all just one big pile of unsorted content, so when it comes to authority, they have none. Would you go to WebMD or HubPages for medical info? If you see what I mean.

But it's still a very interesting thought. I wonder if anyone knows the exact reasons their content never showed up on any web search, ever (at least for me), even when they were at their height of success?

4. CrowdedHighways

CrowdedHighways
    uix_expand uix_collapse

At least in my experience, quality is much more important than quantity. Remember that repeated customers contribute to a large part of your revenue. You want an article that can be shared on social media many times, not a blog loaded with badly written articles full of grammar mistakes.

5. Diane Lane

Diane Lane
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In my opinion, quality is more important, but from what I've heard recently, Google values volume of fresh content, as in new threads on forums, as more important than depth of content, such as ongoing conversations.

6. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

In discussions like this one, you need to make sure you are comparing, as the saying goes, "apples to apples". Forum threads, Blog articles, and actual company-owned websites are three separate situations, with three separate purposes. Forum threads can have new content added several times a day, a few times a week, or can sit idle for awhile, and the suddenly get a reply. It makes sense to add new content to a Blog, daily if possible. With a website, however, adding new content just for the sake of adding content serves no useful purpose. Changing the content of a website would only be necessary if new products or services are added or existing one's are changed, or a significant change has occurred within the company. If a company website includes a blog, the above comment about blogs would apply to that blog, of course.

7. P.Skinner

P.Skinner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Content sites did rank well for many years. People including myself made thousands via these sites. But as with anything on the internet, any easy moneymaking system only works for a limited period of time.

Having a distinct subject was not something Google could detect or penalize for 4-5 years ago. I am not even really sure it is now. But maybe it is as giving authors their own subdomain is part of the Hubpages strategy for dealing with Panda and it seems to be working at least somewhat.

8. Rajeev Sharma

Rajeev Sharma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As per my view content is helpful to get more visitors, but it will be depends upon type of the site, if we post the content which is not interested to the visitors, they leave the site their it self. Bounce rate will increase, infographics are more helpful to drive the vistors. Because of People can understand the benfits or purposes immidiately.

9. Corzhens

Corzhens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree that the thread title is a myth. Traffic will be coming in not because of the quantity of contents but of the quality. With the quantity, take note that most internet habitues have short attention span so they are turned off with long articles that don't give them anything but words. Now, if those long articles are very informative, maybe that would be interesting to the readers. And if indeed they are then those readers will be coming back for more. I would like to add that photos definitely enhance the contents.

10. steveposter

steveposter
    uix_expand uix_collapse

More content the better for the website and most importantly for the audience but the story must be interesting and engaging. The best way that we can do is to help the search engine find our website for the targeted users so the they will benefited from the content.

11. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As for me, no. This wouldn't be as effective as what others think. To be able to generate good traffic to your blog/website, you should not only focus on always updating your content. Rather, you should also put some effort into marketing/promoting your site. That could be more effective than putting new but irrelevant posts on your site.

12. cwvps

cwvps
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Quality should not be sacrificed, just to get something out there. If someone has the time and ability to write quality content everyday then why not do it... The benefits of more traffic, subscribers and buyers will pay off nicely, but if you have to lower the quality, which could reflect negatively on your brand, then don't do it.

13. john58975

john58975
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Content might be helpful for getting more visitors on your website, but make these contents are unique and engaging so that user will read it. Also add long tail keywords, internal links and incorporate useful videos in content to drive more traffic.

14. zotowatson

zotowatson
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am totally agree with you, Post huge number of post is not provides you traffic to your website, Post unique content, this will increase your traffic with organic search and with social media.

15. Alan Ron

Alan Ron
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Google is giving more importance to unique and attractive content, but this doesn't mean that more content gives you more traffic. Instead of this, I would like to suggest you to update content on regular basis. And most important only content will not give you traffic. Content is only for visitor engagement.

16. campbelljof

campbelljof
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,

I don't think so, Posting a lot of article to your blog website did not work to any of website.
    all the thing which can increase your traffic to your website is quality.
    means the more you provide quality to your content the more you will get traffic and further get some quality conversion.
    so try to post some quality content instead of more and more content to your website.

one another thing is that where you have post and where is your targeted audience.!!!