~~~~~ Moral Values.............

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by scifi, Dec 10, 2008.

1. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Friends, in this beautiful world of God, His most loved creation(man) is creating havoc, destruction, killings & other things that are dangerous for the very existence of man himself . In midst of acts of terrorism, corruption & other bad elements, It is high time that we should think of role of moral values in an individual's life in building a character & personality which can be helpful to society in progressing ahead towards realization of goal of " Making Mother Earth; A better & safe place to live in Harmony"
    The most important phase of life when foundation for moral values is laid is childhood & other stages associated with it..
    I have written my thoughts based on an important phase of life- Schooling & moral Values
    What other factors do you think can affect moral values during childhood Or can change grown up individual's morale???

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Scifi I agree with you that values are very important. It is worth taking some quiet time with a pen and paper and writing down your values. This gives us clarity on what our personal values actually are. Many people are not very clear as what their personal values are. Taking the time to clarify our values allows us to start living our life in a way that is congruent with these values.

When our job, career or business allows us to respect our personal values this leads to a much more satisfying work environment and happier work life.

I particularly like the quote below from your blog post;

3. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

When it comes to values, I do believe that most old values can still be applied today. Age-old values are enduring especially those values to show respect to the elderly, discipline, love, and many others. But I also do believe that some old values also have an expiry date and cannot be applied today. One such example is the custom of the Malays in kissing the hands of the elderly. This has been changed to just mimicking the action but not actually kissing. This change was necessary when there was an outbreak of SARS in Singapore.

If it seems that the younger generation today has less values when compared to 1 or 2 decages ago, the fault doesn't neccessarily lie with them. In today's day and age, it seems that more parents spend less time with their children than in the past. This, I think, is the number 1 factor in the degenerating values of the younger generation today.

4. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yeah, some values are incorporated into the society so as to stay there forever & some have definitely an expiry date too ..... Values like love, care , respect for others & elders, kindness- these are some general values which should be pass on from generation to generation so that this earth can become a better & peaceful place to live in harmony...
    Moreover Nazreen, the eg. which you have given of Malays is a tradition not values in my opinion.. Do you think that there can be difference between tradition & values???

5. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Scifi, I really enjoyed your post. :) I think peer group pressure can play a huge part in skewing the moral values you were brought up with if you get with the wrong crowd at a vulnerable age or time in your life. It's not just the young that can be influenced. Many lonely people are taken advantage of day in, day out by charlatans.

Not all kids are the same however. Some are still brought up with moral values instilled in them, but sadly it's true many are not.

I remember my son coming home one day after being out with a new pal when he was young teen. The boy had shoplifted a pack of trading cards and my son didn't know until they were halfway home and he showed them to him. My lad was ashen-faced and shaking not just from fear but from indignation when he got home. He was not only horrified that the boy would do that in the first place, but that if he'd been caught my son would have been under suspicion too just because he was there. He came straight home and told me. I intending banning the boy from ever coming around again but my son told me not to bother - he'd already told him himself never to speak to him again because no friend would risk causing trouble for another one. Thing is, the boy had money...he just did it for the thrill. :eek:

I was really proud of my lad for doing the right thing. You always wonder if they would when they're out of your sight and hope and pray so.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I'm always wary of that particular value to be honest. When I meet older people I do treat them with respect and dignity. However, when I was a child my parents brought me up to respect everyone who was older than me, and I don't agree with that value.

There are some bad people out there and children shouldn't automatically respect someone just because they are an adult. Nor do I think a 20 year old should automatically respect a 40 year old. People should be respected for who they are, not just for their age.

7. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Guess I was wrong on that one Scifi. Yes, you're absolutely correct. Values are enduring and doesn't have an expiry date. Tradition however have an expiry date and some cannot be used in the present day.

You're also right on the money on this one, Kay. When I become a parent, I would like to meet everyone that my kids consider as a friend. This would help us guide them in their choosing of friends so that they won't be led astray.

I would guess that the "no talking to strangers still apply" especially for kids. But I think it wouldn't hurt to give seats to the elderly and those who need them the most. But you're right Fergal, we shouldn't just respect the elderly but everyone else - young and old alike.

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

That's a very good example Nazreen and I agree with the sentiment 100%. I believe in always being gentle and helpful towards those that are weaker than us or could benefit from our help.

9. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

HI! KAY
    It is a very nice example; you have given of reaping sapling of values in children during childhood itself which over the course of time becomes a very strong tree with roots spreading all over firmly & deep & because it is a personal one too, it comes with a life time guarantee :)rolleyes:). Yeah you are absolutely correct that values do affected from the type of peer groups that one may be in.....
    External environment also includes the company of friends you keep because they influence you too..

10. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I also do agree about peer pressure playing a big part in skewing the moral values of people especially the kids and teenagers. Sometimes we just want to belong and not to be against the flow or trend. Individuals experience implicit or explicit persuasion and most often times, it is to adopt the same twisted values or do the same bad things as the perpetuator/s.

Even though peer pressure is almost always viewed as a negative thing, it can also have a positive impact. If peer pressure affects the kids in such a way that they'll do better academically or be more active in school activities, then this all well and good. That is why in school or at work, it is very important to choose our friends wisely.

11. silent_thunder

silent_thunder
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I personally feel moral values is not a priority in todays lifestyle ,atleast not to everyone. It has to do with the world that we live in, you see terror onside, full fledged war on the otherhand. TV shows showing every possible crime that can be commited in every which way and potraying it as something cool or hip thing to do.

Honesty and integrity are passe. If you are honest you are termed as weak and not street smart.

As Mahatma gandhi says "be the change you want see"

Start the revolution from within yourself, try being honest in every possible way that you can, dont think of the consequences you will make a difference. Atleast thats my philosophy towards life.

12. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Maybe I'm already out of touch with today's young generation because I've always believed that honesty and integrity are strengths and not weaknesses. If having these two virtues are viewed as being weak then I think that the world has already gone from bad to worse.

13. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yeah Nazreen!!
    I will say that peer pressure also do have positive impact as I can give mine eg. here too..As a student during school days first I was not a good student till 6th-7th grade but after that I happen to make some friends who were academically very good which also had positive impact on me too & that change my academic performance also in a very drastic way...!!!

14. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Silent !
    Here is something I would like to bring to your notice that there is difference between traditions, moral values, & own ideals!!!
    Moreover I consider that moral values are like treasure & what do you do with treasure silent??? Treasure is something that must be kept hide from world..likethat we must also keep our values confined to ourself. not for showoff to the world!!!

15. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Why do you say that, most people I know would value honesty and integrity very highly? They are values that appear to be held in high importance by the public in relation to politicians. A politician's career often doesn't last very long if they are caught deliberately lying.

That's an excellent and inspirational way to look at things, thanks for sharing that with us.

Scifi, very well done on improving your academic performance, that is truly an excellent example of the importance of choosing carefully who you spend your time with. I've read that you are the average of the five people you spend most of your time with. If you want to be successful, you need to chose the right five people.

16. silent_thunder

silent_thunder
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Its bad than bad now. A police officer in India was targeted by an entire clang of a party for being honest and doing his duty correctly. The media in the dint care. But when the same man died fighting terror for the country the entire nation including the politicians who blamed him went ahead with the praises for being an effective officer.

This incident display the appalling nature of people's attitude in today's world.

The police officer's name is hemant karkare and he died in the mumbai terror attacks. It is just one example.

I belong to the general category, and when I wrote the MBA entrances in the country under the same category you what I was termed as?? The same weak and not wise. Because most of them had a fake community certificate. Its so easy to bribe the Indian system to get one.

I lose out on the entrance for being honest and refusing to pay the bribe there are millions of such examples I can go on and on that is the reason why I was stressing on the fact that first check whether you are honest and dont try to clean the society when you have dirt all over your face

17. Swastik

Swastik
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Amazing quote. I've been somewhat off the past few days, this will really help me.
    Exactly, I share your feelings. Most people here take exams, not to test themselves, but to test their faking abilities. I'm still in high-school, but when I was taking the CBSE Xth Public exam earlier this year, our teachers had highly prioritized students whose parents were known in the city - they were allowed to cheat freely, despite the exam being one of the more important ones in our lives.

There are so many amazing talent in India. But they don't get what they deserve, those who have the power get what they don't deserve. We've got so much talent, but they are tricked by the system.

On moral values, my parents have always taught me to think before taking any big decision. They've taught me to respect others, and to choose wise friends. I've always listened to them, and still follow each and every thing my Mum says. She's God to me, and I do my best to try and give her happiness, in whatever ways I can.

Recently, when I moved to the hostel, I've come to know the flip side of the coin. When I was home, I had no problems - everything was there. People were there to advise me when I had to take instantaneous decisions. Here, I've to take them myself, and that's where the moral values help the most. I've seen many students who are not here to study, and for purposes different to what their parents send them for. I've talked to many such people in the past year. Still, whenever I make friends with others, I remember one thing - I should not do anything that lets my parents down.

There is one Sanskrit shloka, which tells us that a student, in his student life, learns 1/4th from his own mind, 1/4th from his parents, 1/4th from his teachers, and the rest 1/4th from his friends.

If any of those links are weak, the building won't be solid.

18. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I didn't know that corruption in India is so bad that even in schools, those kids of prominent people can cheat so freely. I also think that today, there are even more ways to cheat than in the past.

We might also be given an avenue to cheat, either in school, at work or even in our personal life. Resisting this temptation would be hard and it will really test even those with a strong will and determination. But if you're able to resist it, then in the end, you will be the one to benefit. That's because when you cheat, you're just cheating yourself of the knowledge that you would have learned by studying.

19. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

That's truly shocking Swastik and obviously very demotivating for you. However, I agree with Nazreen that you will benefit in the long run. Those that get by through cheating will probably find themselves struggling later in life when they haven't got the work ethic or knowledge required to solve problems.

20. Swastik

Swastik
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Exactly what my parents tell me when I'm kind of sad after coming from an exam. Those who cheat now, are cheating no one but themselves. They can't cheat their life, sometime they'll have to struggle because they're choosing the easier path today.

:)