Money Saving Tips!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by scifi, Nov 3, 2008.

1. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

HI! Every Body
    Please share your money saving ideas on this thread & also any if special experience where you would have saved money by doing something special or different.

This thread is dedicated to FIGHT WITH ONGOING CURRENT ECONOMIC CRISIS. :cool:

2. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Here is the first tip from me......
    Try to save money on everything you do or you buy.....This little saved money on each item will end up being large amount at the end of the month.
    Yes "BARGAINING" is the success mantra for this period...

3. pendelton

pendelton
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Go without the extras that you do not need.

4. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

ya But how the word "extra" can be defined??
    It's very dificult to priotise your needs & extras..But if someone is capable of that It's great for him well!!

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Shop around.

List your regular / monthly expenses, order your list putting your biggest cost on top. Start with your biggest expense, with a view to see if you can reduce it or even eliminate it and then work your way down the list.

#5 Fergal, Nov 3, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  6. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Great Advice!
    Thanx:D

7. pendelton

pendelton
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

scifi, extras are the things like going out to see a film when renting one from a store is less expensive.
    Do you need the named brand soda, or will the off brand suffice? Or do you need it at all.
    Do you need the extended TV channels or will basic do? Do you need the TV at all or just the net connection?

Each person will have a different set of extras, like I do not need the extended cable TV, the basic is just fine, but, watching TV is one of my few escapes from what I do, so the basic cable is not an extra to me.

((Fergal, edit your post. :) ))

8. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Buy in bulk. Look for specials. Stock the freezer when you can. I used to throw a lot of food out because I simply made too much but no more! I either make less or enough to do someone for lunch the next day.

On shopping around, don't forget to call your insurance company and competitors or look online. We get lazy and just renew year after year instead of seeing what's out there. Insurers rely on that apathy to make big bucks.

Go over your policy booklet so you know exactly what you have now, then get some quotes. If you can't find your copy, ask the insurer to send you one or pick one up at their office. Some have the documentation online now where you can read it or print it off. Be very careful when looking at policies that you're comparing like with like though when you start shopping around.

For example, let's say you're looking at house insurance. Does your current policy offer " new for old" cover? Does the new quote you got from a competitor do the same? If in doubt, ask. Never assume anything.

Also consider what's changed since you took out any insurance you have. Continuing with the house insurance example :

Have you added anything of value to your home?
    Is it more secure than it was when you took the policy out eg new windows, doors, locks, alarms.
    Are you in a neighborhood watch area now?
    Are there less people living in the house?
    Did you get a dog?

You should always tell your insurer of anything like that. It can help cut your premiums.

Don't sign up for anything new straightaway, no matter how attractive it sounds. If you get a better offer, get the quote sent out to you. Normally it's valid for a certain number of days - last I recall it was 30 days but that may vary.

Then go back to your current insurer, tell them what you've been quoted elsewhere and see if they'll match or better that. Many will at the very minimum match it - they just don't shout from the rooftops that they do. So you get a reduction in your premium plus you don't need to lift a finger to move it.

When I worked in banking I dealt with customers who thought they had cover when they didn't and vice versa. Please, read the small print. Then read it again. Be sure of what you are and aren't covered for. Then you'll be in a far better position to assess your needs.

Always, always ask if you're not sure and get anything in the policy clarified before you need it.

#8 Kay, Nov 3, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
  9. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've just discovered recently that one of the best ways to save is by exercising and eating healthy food. We spend a lot of money when we're sick so if we exercise regularly, eat 2 servings of veggies and 2 serving of fruits, and maintain a healthy lifestyle, we're actually saving a lot more.

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

You can save money by shopping in cheaper stores. Ireland has seen the growth of international supermarket chains, who are selling groceries at a much lower cost than the established Irish supermarkets. Now that money is tighter more and more people are shopping in these lower cost stores.

Thanks done. :)

11. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

there are very great advices being posted here!!!thanx everybody!!!
    I am waiting for some experiences too to be shared here!!!

12. youbetcha1018

youbetcha1018
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Agreed. I was always told by my mother to buy what I need and not what I want. She is always right with this. if you buy what you need and not what you want then you will be able to save money and not spend it on some things you will never need.

13. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Here is another advice form me!!!
    There is a lot of competition in the market at present due to regression to keep the demand alive & to retain customers...

You can actually bargain from your service providers for services such as your mobile service provider to make a customize package for a group of friends or small organizations or firms etc.
    Like wise same bank can also provide you with cheaper services or customized package for yourself....
    Go ahead save money in this time of regression ...tap the opportunity to your benefit by long term saving plans deviced now..
    These will also help you in your good times when the slump will be over!!!!

14. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I can remember when I was young my mum used to go from store to store to get things in order to save a penny or two. I used to think it was nuts when you could get it all under one roof in a superstore but of course convenience costs more. We'll see a return to that I think.

The next thing I expect to see is the higher end car sales struggling as people trade them in for smaller ones. They'll soon be looking for something that not only costs less in fuel to run, but brings them into a lower insurance bracket because of smaller engine sizes. So that's another way to save- change your car for a reliable but cheaper one in terms of running costs.

15. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ask yourself "do I really need this?" and "can I buy this cheaper somewhere else" every time, before you open your wallet or purse to purchase something.

16. louisgean747

louisgean747
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Buy in bulk. Look for specials.

17. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I guess a compromise between quality and price will have to be made. Generally, those merchandise with the highest quality also come at a steep price. Also, those with the lowest price are also of the lowest quality. So for things that we use only once like disposables, we don't have to buy the most expensive ones. I think that a cheap one will do. But for appliances, I still think it's better to buy a brand that everyone trusts and don't buy the latest model. A prior model would do just fine and it would be good if it's also on sale.

18. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum Louisgean747, and thanks for the tip.

Perhaps you could save even more money and help the environment by not buying disposables. E.g. use cloths instead of paper towels.

19. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It's about finding the middle ground, definitely. This time of year I wouldn't buy anything big like appliances and furniture mainly because I know in a matter of weeks there will be better deals in the January sales. If you need it, you need it but if you can wait, it's better to hold off just now.

20. deepak_sharma

deepak_sharma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Best way to save money is to Bargain on MRP. Many of us think that government has set the Mrp but its the dealer who set it . Therefore we have every write to Bargain on it.