Money doesn't make you happy - right...

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Resonance18, May 10, 2014.

1. Resonance18

Resonance18
    uix_expand uix_collapse

How many times have you heard this sentence from people?
    Yesterday I had dinner with few friends and we talked about money and success and one person (a worker of course, not entrepreneur) said she noticed that rich people tend to be depressed and no matter how much they have, it doesn't make them happy.
    I was shocked to see how everybody just agreed with her.
    I was shocked to see a group of intelligent people have such misconceptions and fear of money. No wonder people like that NEVER succeed when it comes to income or financially independence.
    After last night it got me thinking that maybe I shouldn't hang around with people like that. It's not that they inspire me to think vegetative thoughts about money, but we are SSSOOO different in the way we see things, in the way we see money.
    I do have winner and successful friends, so what if I just surround myself with this kind of people?
    What do you think?

• Like Like x 1
  2. jacobflores

jacobflores
    uix_expand uix_collapse

More ways how make you happy, Spending your time with family and your friends just enjoy life.

3. kenzo

kenzo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Money itself makes me happy and I don't see anything wrong here ;) They can have some right, because people sometimes sacrifice too much for money and other aspects of their lifes are miserable. From my experience, rich people are very happy about their lives :) Some who didn't have the courage to start a business or follow their dreams, are telling such things to feel better ;)

4. infinityweb

infinityweb
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Let's be open-minded and admit it: money is vital and very important in life. More often, it comes to be included in needs, not just wants. I believe that negative matters entailed with money depend on how people handle it. When money is utilized properly, it will bring happiness and contentment. But when money is viewed negatively, this will create negative ideas and will start wrecking several relationships.

5. bjdea2

bjdea2
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It depends on what drives you......your motives. Money is a tool to achieve something. It depends on what you're doing with the money as to whether it will make you happy or not. Is the money serving you and others or are you serving money?

We all have addictions, flawed characters and bad habits. If your money is feeding your bad character traits then you will not be happy.......for example a lifestyle of self-indulgence, drinking, smoking, gambling, ........if you're using you're money to live a materialistic "Vegas" type lifestyle then you will NOT be happy. If you are however using the money to provide for your family's future or building up a business that employs people.....or doing something positive then it will make you happy and others.

I see wealth and money as being a tool to impact many peoples lives........a poor man cannot help others financially......however a rich man can impact many peoples lives by investing in people. They will then have a rich life, not because of the money itself but because of the people that are grateful for your presence in their life. A generous rich man has many friends....this use of money (helping others) sees its true potential maximized - that brings the greatest happiness of all, having the ability to really change peoples lives.

• Like Like x 1
    #5 bjdea2, Jun 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  6. alastairbrian

alastairbrian
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Helping the others and make them to smile is a great virtue...and one can live a happy life with these kind of things

7. 2bary

2bary
    uix_expand uix_collapse

make can make u just close to happiness but the thing is garbing it will be done by yourself moreover you can buy various products as can generate happiness but that will be quiet different from original one

8. Maidul

Maidul
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Money doesn't make you happy.

9. alexfernandes

alexfernandes
    uix_expand uix_collapse

We all agree that money is not everything but when we consider family and our health, money matters a lot. In order to get our basic needs i.e. food, clothing and shelter, we need money.

10. Modishfitt

Modishfitt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Agreed! Because money is just short term happiness.

11. jaynorth

jaynorth
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes it is true that money can't buy happiness, but under the current scenario money is the source to make our lives better & eventful.

12. CoolHandCol

CoolHandCol
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Money does not make you happy long term. It does remove a potential source of unhappiness - but that's all

13. SConsultant

SConsultant
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Money does not make you happy alone - but it helps a lot.

14. webdesignphx

webdesignphx
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree money is just a tool to achieve an objective of some sort. I think that in a way they were both right and wrong. A percentage of rich people I know focus their whole life on making money and are always stressed out. They never take the time to smell the roses. But at the same time there are middle class or poor people I know that do the same thing. Work their 9-5 come home and watch tv wake up and do the same thing again in the morning.

I think as long as you have a dream and a vision it doesn't matter how others view money. It only matters how you view money. I think it would be wrong to stop being friends with them because of their monetary views. If anything just learn lessons from them on how they feel about money and that can possibly make you more money! ;)

At the end of the day, money does not matter to me at all.

15. E-Populus

E-Populus
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It can make you happy. I'd rather cry in a Mercedes than in a Porsche...

16. vivaclean

vivaclean
    uix_expand uix_collapse

One should not judge about people on how much money they have. Poor people can also be depressed. One's attitude towards money is important. If one becomes greedy their spirituality will suffer...

• Like Like x 1
  17. atlantisrocks

atlantisrocks
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think happiness comes from making progress on and achieving goals.

A person (even a rich person) who is frustrated at not making progress toward some goal is not going to be as happy as if they think they are making progress.

That goal can be making $500 a week or having a happy marriage.

J. Paul Getty, one of the world’s richest men, is reputed to have said, “I’d give all my millions for just one happy marriage!”

Happiness simply depends on your goals and your progress toward achieving them.

18. MattPel

MattPel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

19. Jybrael

Jybrael
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well to be honest money is important in our lives but one must not forget that even though money can buy you a lot of things it will never be able to buy you true happiness. True happiness comes from building memorable memories...spending time with family...(This can be done both with money and without money)...so you take your pick what makes you happy...

20. Jude Richardson

Jude Richardson
    uix_expand uix_collapse

No but then money alone cannot make you happy.. It's not about the money it is how you spend it..