Missing Out On Opportunities?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Redd, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Redd

Redd
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Many people who think about starting businesses online don't even get started. The reason? A niche they'd thought would be great for them may attract lots of other entrepreneurs and before they get in the niche is saturated.

What should one when they lose good business opportunities because they hesitated? Join the horde and hope that you'll do better than the others?

Taking such risks when you know the competition is pretty stiff would most likely force you to make bad [business] decisions. This would cost you a lot. And when your goal is to make money, you don't want to lose it, right?

Opportunities come and go and we can't always get everything we want. That's why losing one shouldn't make you give up starting a business altogether. There are plenty more business opportunities some of which could be better than the one you lose but you'll only find them if you stop thinking and looking back at what you lost.

2. Diane Lane

Diane Lane
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That's a good point, but what if the business is something you've dreamt of all your life, such as being a pianist or painter? I guess like most kids who dream of being famous sports players, the majority of us aren't going to be famous doing something we're talented at, that we love, and eventually we have to give up the dream of making a living doing that, and settling for another another way of generating income?

3. Corzhens

Corzhens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Pardon me but I have come across that niche site or niche blog so many times. Why do aspiring bloggers or online businessmen focus on such niche? Like for example, can I not launch a blog for pets? There are a lot, I know so it's not a niche anymore, right? But if I do it right, I can make money from it and even get rich. What do you say to that?

4. tsubibo

tsubibo
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

In todays world it is now always about specialization. You must be able to give the absolute best product or service on that niche in order to become successful. Too many things on your plate and you might not be able to give 100%.

5. Redd

Redd
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There is a possibility that you could be successful but you'll need a new angle, your voice must be different — uniqueness — that's what might get you some success.

If your blog is different in some way from all the other popular blogs then it would attract some readers and from there it would keep growing.

However if the blog you start is no different from all the other blogs what's to entice readers to visit your site? The odds of success if your site has nothing new to offer are close to zero. So why not play it safe and stay away from saturated niches?

6. Corzhens

Corzhens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thank you for the explanation. You know, I really appreciate forums particularly when some members would reply to my queries and not mock me at all. I have a planned blog about my pets. And I have been writing articles about them in the idea that I will have a lot for publishing (so I would not be pressured to post every week or even every day). And a big part of the plan is on how to get an audience, regular readers that would come back everyday to read.

• Like Like x 1
  7. kaian

kaian
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The time to start a business is now. Never hesitate and second guess your ideas.You will always find the excuses to delay your plans and one of them is claiming that the niche is already saturated and all but you have your own ways to make a spin on it and make it look different. Once you got the ball rolling you will never have anymore excuses

8. Corzhens

Corzhens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You may be right on that because I am a professional procrastinator. But in fairness to me, I don't want to launch a blog and be remiss on the updates later. I am collecting articles for now, rewriting old ones and writing new ones. I plan to have a daily blog so it entails hard work. But I agree that doing it is one thing and planning is another. That gives me something to ponder on.

9. kaian

kaian
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think you are doing it right. You are taking those little steps like re-writing and writing new articles and maybe one of these days we will see your blog go live. That is the true spirit of an entrepreneur. We may never know what will happen but we are doing something behind the scene. We are never afraid to face the outcome be it good or frustrating. That is how we learn really.

10. Corzhens

Corzhens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

FYI, my blog is actually my contingent action when I get to retire although that would still be some years from now. But since I am not a real writer, I am now honing my writing skills for the benefit of my office job at present and also for my planned blog. Hopefully, I will have the guts to launch it and the drive to maintain the regular updates so I could earn something from that blog.

11. Damien Lee

Damien Lee
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It's not really such a big deal. We live in a world where new opportunities constantly present themselves. If you miss one opportunity, there will be another ten new opportunities that materialize. I think impatience is one of the biggest problems with most people. They are too concerned to make money as quickly as possible without first investigating what they're getting into. I always advice people to take their time and practice due diligence with any new business opportunity that is available to them.

12. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think one of the most important things to consider when you are trying to brainstorm what your niche would be all about is if you have huge passion for it or not. At the end of the day, it is our happiness that should be put first. Does this kind of thing/work gives me fulfillment or not? If it doesn't, it will hardly work.