Miscellaneous Business Certifications

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by TheFuzz1292, Aug 21, 2011.

1. TheFuzz1292

TheFuzz1292
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'll give you guys a little background before getting to the main question. I'm currently a police officer of 8 years (with 2 prior years of management experience) and I have just obtained my BA in Organizational Management. I'm looking to transition to the private sector and I know I have several skills that would translate well to business. However, I'm having a hard time finding positions I'm qualified for. I can find several that I meet 1/3 or 1/2 of the qualifications, with a few that I can learn along the way, but several seem to want certain experience (Six Sigma, Project Manager, etc). The question is, would receiving a certification in said specialty be a way in for some of the jobs that don't require a lot of experience (ie. 1-2 years experience)?

I have several options to receive a Six Sigma or Project Manager certification, which seem to be the two most desirable traits in many of the jobs I've looked at. I also have options to receive Human Resource, Grant Writing, and other less desired certification. Also, should I attempt to receive more than one, or just concentrate on a specialty? In law enforcement, being a "jack of all trades" helps you in advancing, but I assume that is not necessarily true in the private sector.

Thanks!

2. HorizonPath.net

HorizonPath.net
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I suggest go for certification in areas that you are interested in, but yet have much experience in. With the current job market, there are a lot of people with experience looking for jobs. Certification will at least show that you are expandable and have obtained formal training in the area. This is experience in some form. And it can only create opportunities, not take them away. There are many people without specific experience who would very likely be better at specific tasks over many who have work experience! The problem is connecting them. However, many businesses hiring are so overwhelmed with applicants that they don't have time to consider alternatives to actual experience. In my opinion, the whole employment creation system is inadequate at placing the right people with the right jobs. The resume/application first step doesn't consider the things that are really most important in a job. But they do relay information on experience and training, which do lead to getting past it. If you can afford it, go for certification, in my opinion. But don't expect it to be the gold nugget in the dirt that attracts an employer. Get out, meet and network, talk and create opportunities. If you believe you can do something well, know you will find the place to do it. Best wishes!

• Like Like x 1
  3. TheFuzz1292

TheFuzz1292
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for the reply. I plan on going to a few job fairs in the upcoming months. Luckily I am employed so I can be picky in the job I want to pursue. I might even go back and get another degree that is more marketable in lieu of a certification.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

TheFuzz1292 have you actually started applying for jobs yet? If the feedback that you have been receiving suggests that you need Six Sigma certification to get the type of job you are looking for, I'd suggest focusing on that qualification and getting it as soon as you can.

5. TheFuzz1292

TheFuzz1292
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have been applying for jobs, mostly loss prevention and corporate security. I want to move away from that field into another aspect of business, but I'm not receiving many hits on my resume due to lack of business experience. Unfortunately I'm in an position where I can't afford to make much less than $40k since I have a family to support and many entry level jobs down in GA start in the mid thirties. Also, most people do not see police officers as educated or capable individuals for business. I know my interview skills are solid and I have a lot to offer, but getting the initial interview is the hard part and I thought that a certification or two might be a way in to help sell myself.

6. Stephen Ryan

Stephen Ryan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Mr Fuzz - Pitch where they need experts in enforcement management, then when you have established yourself in that role, look for a move to a different area of the company.

So make a move from police to a company in enforcement management
    Then when you have spent some time in that role
    Look for an internal transfer to a different department

2 steps, rather than 1 step

Good luck

Stephen

• Like Like x 1