Minors are not safe on Social Networking sites, reports said

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by GekiDan, Jun 24, 2011.

1. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Read more: http://www.gmanews.tv/story/224154/technology/social-network-sites-fail-to-protect-minors-eu-report

Be sure to supervise your kids when using social networking sites, or even the internet.
    Don't allow them to use the internet alone.

2. The Reverend

The Reverend
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would allow my kids(if i had any) to use the internet alone(if they were above 10), i would trust them, having said that, I would probably put parent controls on the pc just to make sure, because by the time i'll want to have kids, who knows what people will be capable of doing on the internet.

3. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think the ideal age would be 13 years old. 10 is too young for me.

4. JBMedia

JBMedia
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would agree with Dan in saying that 13 is more of an ideal age. However, even at 13 a kids mind is still so young and eager. There's a lot of corruption on the internet and the sad part is that it generally takes adults to weed through those parts. A lot of times the adults can't even decipher through the goods and bads because it's so well hidden these days.

It's hard to determine what a good age for a kid to start coming online is. That lies within each parent alone. However, let's hope that the parents out there give their kids the right amount of respect to know when it's not good for them.

5. youngkia1

youngkia1
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I also agree that 13 is more preferable and Ideal age.Even in social networking, bullying is one of the problem they seen that's why it is not advisable to the minors.

6. JBMedia

JBMedia
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Although I do agree, e-Bullying is a bad thing for younger kids to deal with, I personally do not believe that is even a pivotal reason younger aged kids/children shouldn't be online without the supervision of an adult.

7. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Basically curiosity on kids these days made them discover something that they should still not learn in that age.
    Finding the right parental control software will solve the problem

8. ladydeluxehotel

ladydeluxehotel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree with you guys.. 13 years old and below kids need supervision in using the internet. There are many pop-ups and many sites we can't control not to show anytime. And besides, kids that are experiencing bullying is tend to have self-pity and low self-esteem, so as an elder we should protect them by all means in this social networking (or any not-so-trusted site) sites.

9. johnnyglaire

johnnyglaire
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yah! Right, many bad people already making their move into social networking sites just to get some victims. It's the most common problems nowadays. So better don't let your children engaged into this social sites or maybe just guide them.

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

• Like Like x 1
  11. vanisa

vanisa
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I also agree with the age 13 because of whatever contents these social networking sites are providing is not suitable even for the adults sometimes.So, it may harm your little's childhood by such adult things. Inspite of this, a kid needs parents assistance and their restrictions for a better future.

12. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What kind of content is that? Are you pertaining to NSFW (not safe for work) contents?