methods of promoting website!!!!

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by scifi, Dec 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello friends...recently I came across a thread by Kay!!
    It gave me an idea to start this thread where experienced member can share their experience regards to website promotion strategies!!!!

2. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The best way I think is still to build yourself a presence in communities with similar interests. Do not be self-serving in your approach because people can smell that a mile away. Try and be genuinely helpful wherever you can. And don't forget to have your link in your sig or profile.

Get your site listed in directories, not forgetting any local versions of online ones. Not all promotion needs to be on the web. You can always place a small ad in your local paper including your website link if you're wanting to attract local business.

There's also a lot of free classified ad sites online - Google "free classified" in inverted commas - some allow you to promote your business site and some don't. It's just a case of looking.

If someone is happy with your work, announce that loud and clear on your website by asking the client if they'd be willing to give you a testimonial you can add to it.

That's all I can think of right now. Sorry, I'm not too well today so my brain's not functioning so great. :)

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

That's a very broad question Scifi. Do you wish to promote a particular website? We will be able to give you more helpful replies if you can give us some detail on the type of site you want to promote.

Have a look at some of the Blogging related links in our Online Business Resources.

4. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well Fergal. I was interested in knowing some tips used for website promotion... I have read a lot that websites need to be promoted nut don't know how!!
    What are some basic methods of promoting websites....
    Website promotion is something that is related to online marketing I guess:rolleyes: but should be different from it in some respects.. I am basically interested knowing few general tips or methodologies, if any!!!!

5. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The tips I've read before mentioned that website promotion should already start when the website is still being developed.

The first would be the choice of an appropriate domain name for the site. The domain name should contain most of the keywords that describe your business.

Next would be the choice of keywords. If you're in the business of belly dancing, you might consider adding women, ladies and girls in your keywords because it would be safe to assume that most of your customer base will be women. Your main keywords should also appear in your title and description.

After these initial steps, you can just google website promotion or promote website and you'll get a lot of tips in this subject.

6. Webestrian

Webestrian
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I guess for website promotion one should use signature anchor links in relevant communities/forums,help people at yahoo answers,comment at relevant blogs,use sponsored advertisements,start affialite programs etc etc

7. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Webestrian, have you tried using Yahoo Answers in that respect? If so I'd like to hear what your experience was there and if you found it generated traffic please. I signed up for it long ago and answered some things but never seen much follow-through from it.

It's a good ego boost when you can get selected as the Best Answer though even if it is against fifteen year olds LOL. I basked in that shallow glory a few times. :p

8. Webestrian

Webestrian
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes Kay!!I used yahoo Answers to promote my games blog around a couple of months ago.Its worked well for me.I answered around only 80,90 questions out of which around 10 were selected as best answers.And i m still getting an average of 50 unique visits per day form those yahoo answers,even though,i am no more promoting my that website anywhere.
    So the yahoo ans traffic ratio is nice..2 answers give around one unique visitor perday..So the more you answer,the better it goes...
    I guess most important is to answer the most relevant questions in a friendly manner....

And you are right.Its really a mini prize getting the answer selected as best answer..LoL...

9. flashgordonweb

flashgordonweb
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Here is my list of website promotion methods:

Onsite Tricks
    Keyword in the domain name
    Keywords and use of meta tags
    Alt tags
    Outgoing links to authority sites
    80% text, 20% images or video

Offsite Tricks
    Signature links in forums
    social bookmarking
    social networking
    press releases
    Yahoo and Google groups
    Submission to directories
    RSS feeds and directories
    Article marketing/directories
    Blogging
    Sitemaps submitted to search engines
    Keyword anchor text for backlinks
    Various Web 2.0 features (mini-blogs on other sites pointing back to yours, etc.)
    Email signature

And then of course, traditional media or promotion offline.

10. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well heck, that's excellent Webestrian, well done! I need to go back LOL. That sounds like a productive use of time for sure.

I think I probably only answered maybe 30 questions. It really was a half hearted effort on my part, truth be told. I just have so many things to juggle right now all the "extras" like that have been pushed aside.

I need a break. It's quarter to one in the morning which means this has been a twenty hour day for me. It's impossible to fit it all in!

Anyone got some cheese to go with my whine? Thanks LOL.

11. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for the list, flashgordonweb (I'm going to start calling you FGW because I'm a rubbish typist and always stumble over your name LOL). What I would like to know is also your order of priority for those tasks. eg would you put Yahoo and Google groups above submission to directories like they are on the list?

Cheers. :)

12. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

A very good & useful tips flashgordonweb indeed!!!
    Thanks for sharing such wonderful tips..
    Would like to know more about them that which one of these you will suggest for giving promotional campaign, a start in the begining !!!

13. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

The onsite tricks would have to come first Scifi, they are involved when you are registering the domain and building the site.

For the offsite tricks I would suggest that you go through the list and do the easy ones first, eg forum signature links. Then go through the list again and prioritise them in the order that suits yourself, and implement them one by one.

14. lara3

lara3
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Nice and useful thread

Thanks for the links which you have provided.Really helps me to gather many information about the business.you too try out this link.

15. gita

gita
    uix_expand uix_collapse

16. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for the link Gita, I've received a copy, haven't read it yet.

17. flashgordonweb

flashgordonweb
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think this is a solid strategy. I break it down in terms of days of the week. Sundays I reserve for directory submission, for example. Every morning I submit to Yahoo and Google groups if there is anything I can answer (no spamming since they are all moderated). I also try and do some blog commenting in the mornings based on Google Alerts. Twice a week I visit forums (like today :)). Once a month I try and submit a press release. Others are more of an ongoing thing when the chance arises.

18. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Flah, I like the approach of allocating certain tasks to certain days. It would certainly help you be more disciplined with your time and avoid spending too much time on tasks that don't yield positive results.

19. Bharat Book

Bharat Book
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanx for providing these wonderful tips,which are really helpful for promoting business site.PPC is another effective tool which helps for marketing business product or services..

20. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

[Closing old thread, please send me a quick PM if you would like it re-opened]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.