Meeting with an important client - what do I do?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Alice533, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Alice533

Alice533
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi everyone,

I have a few questions that I'm hoping you could help me out with. Next week a really important client comes to visit and I am not sure how to handle the situation since I've never had this important meetings before.

So, my first question is: Should I pick him up at the airport myself or should I get someone to pick him up? I've been looking at limousine services like this one: blacklane.com/en, but what do you guys think? I definitely want to make a good impression and he most definitely shouldn't take a taxi or a bus.

Second: Should I invite him to see the office that I work in and meet the employess or should I solely go for the businnes lunch? What are pros and cons for both?

And finally: How formal should I keep a meeting like this one? I'm thinking rather informal but still with high standards (e.g. nice airport transfer, a good meal etc.).

I'm looking forward to your answers.

Best regards,
    Alice

2. Rocky

Rocky
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I guess it depends on the purpose of the meeting. If it is business then you should keep it formal and it not then a business lunch would be good. If you need to discuss business related issues then your office would be better if you find it good enough.

And if you can afford the limo service and the client is worth it then why not. Or you might have you car sent to pick him up as well.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

It depends on the size of your business. One thing you don't want to do is over-promise and under-deliver. Sending a chauffeured limousine to pick up a client gives them an impression that you are a large, multi-billion dollar company, and if he arrives at the office and discovers you are not, he may be wary of doing business with you. Of course, if you are a multi-billion dollar company, and you want to make a good impression, the chauffeured limousine will do it.

I would start with the business lunch, and see how that goes. If you take him to the office to meet the employees first, he may feel pressured, and you might scare him away. If the business lunch goes well, you can make another appointment to meet in your office. Don't take him to meet the employees until he actually becomes a client, or asks a question about who would be doing the work he is hiring you for. If you receive what we call "buying signals", and introducing him to the employees and getting to know their level of expertise may help convince him, then you can do so.[/QUOTE]

Well, I definitely wouldn't take him to McDonald's :D . Seriously, the level of formality again would depend on the size of your business. A formal restaurant, with a wait staff is good, but again, too formal could make it too obvious that you are trying too hard to impress him. Too informal, and it would not be impressive enough.

I hope I helped, rather than making your choice more difficult. Good Luck.

• Like Like x 1
  4. AnushaJain

AnushaJain
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You may first book a good hotel for him.Then you may invite him at a lunch or a dinner by sending a car to receive him but all this depends on how important your deal is.You may take your client to show your place as well if he have some time left,it will make you spent good time with him.in that mean time his mood may also diverted towards you with your presentation..

5. jitenrajput9

jitenrajput9
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As an industrialist i like to suggest you that every client is most important to us. Our business is totally depends on them they are not depends on us. Do the same for all clients. From my personal experience, relationship is most important. Your idea for limo services that is good. Book the hotel and have a lunch with client and then ask client to visit your office if client will convenient then client will ready to visit your office and will meet your employees. Give your best to every client, may be not working today but i am sure that your good relationship will help you in future and i have an experience my many clients came back after some time just maintaining the relations with them even there are no dealing with them. Do as per you afford and as per your business.

• Like Like x 1
  6. puja167

puja167
    uix_expand uix_collapse

First of all be confident,go with smartly.

7. Justyn Franko

Justyn Franko
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Image is everything. Perception is reality.

All I got on this is simply make a lasting impression, and
    Make it count!

8. carloborja

carloborja
    uix_expand uix_collapse

How did this go? I would be interested to hear an update.