MeanBossLady is a mean boss lady.

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by MeanBossLady, Jul 8, 2012.

1. MeanBossLady

MeanBossLady
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I wasn't sure where to put this!

Hey all! Just a quick intro, I'm 26, starting college soon (I know, a little late) for business management, currently work for one of the biggest retailers in the world, and I'm here to seek guidance, approval, opinions, debate, everything that usually comes with a forum!

What actually brought me here is my experience working with a big retail company. I have 'owned' a few 'busineses' (by that I mean, I made a few t-shirts, sold a few necklaces, got some ideas rolling but didn't have the funds, etc., etc.,) so I've had to resort to working in big retail for income.

I just have a question for people who own a business, of any size. How do you discipline your employees? My experience from working in this retail company is that often times, associates are hardly ever 'reprimanded' for disruptive behavior, poor work ethic, or mistreatment of their associates. It's very frustrating. I feel that the company has a right to tell these associates how to act and how to do their jobs, not vice versa. It just seems there is ZERO discipline or control with these people!

I try to be understanding in a sense that most, if not all, these associates are very uneducated with no college degree and maybe a high school diploma, but these people have a hard time 'understanding' (more like refusing to) listen to direction, know their role in the company, and have issues controlling their managerial attitudes!

I guess I'm wondering, as a successful boss, how do you deal with these types of things? I feel like I'm an alien here! It's workers controlling the company, now a days! I just don't get it!

Thanks for the input!

2. falconator

falconator
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think most companies are afraid of reprimanding employes because they don't want to pay unemployment. In my experience the best thing to do is reprimand 3 times with documentation and then if the behavior continues fire them. With a paper trail they have no chance of collecting unemployment.

3. MeanBossLady

MeanBossLady
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Exactly, @falconator. But unfortunately, this company hires (and promotes) lazy managers who don't want to do paper work. I'm tired of laziness in businesses!

@[email protected], if I was in charge of hiring, I'd train people first before they get the job and if they can't understand the concept of their simple job, they wouldn't get hired. It shouldn't be based on not having drugs in your system and a stupid survey where you give answers that the company wants to hear!