MBA for an Engineering Ph.D.?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by ChemicalEngineer, Mar 11, 2011.

1. ChemicalEngineer

ChemicalEngineer
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello,

I would like to ask if pursuing an MBA might be appropriate for me.

The deal is that I'm pretty much a scientist/engineer. So far, I have three BS degrees: Physics, Chemistry, and Chemical Engineering. I've just begun graduate school and I'm working on my Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering. The stipend that I'm on would cover my tuition for the Business school if I were to pursue an MBA.

What I'm trying to figure out is, what would an MBA do for me? What would earning an MBA teach me, and what doors might it open up?

Thank you!

#1 ChemicalEngineer, Mar 11, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to our Business Forum ChemicalEngineer, you are obviously a very qualified and experienced person. An MBA is a very useful qualification for anyone seeking a managerial position in the corporate world, the answer as to whether or not it would be a good qualification for you to obtain would very much depend on your long term career goals. If you want to move into management then an MBA could help you to secure a position of employment. On the other hand if you wish to work in the science / engineering side and MBA would most probably not be quite as useful.

Would you mind telling us a little about your career goals?

3. ChemicalEngineer

ChemicalEngineer
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thank you, Fergal.

I have two powerful motivations. First, I'd like to well provide for my family. Second, I'd like to have the time and resources available to pursue my own personal research. I'm willing to do just about anything respectable to meet these goals.

My current default career path is to finish my ChemE Ph.D. and start at a job which, based on what my classmates have been getting, will probably start a bit above 100 kUSD/yr. Such a career would likely eat 40-50 hrs/wk though a decent portion of that time may allow me to practice skills useful to my personal research. As with most folks, it would benefit me to have a larger income or fewer work hours. Additionally, it would benefit me to have a stronger overlap between my career and my personal research.

I'd like to find a better career path. Such a career path would either have to be reliable or allow me to fall back on what I'm already doing. I'm still trying to figure out what such a career path might be. One idea that I've been attempting to assess the viability of would be to obtain an MBA and start a company after graduation; probably some sort of Engineering firm.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Would you consider doing a research PHD with a university? The income would be less than you could earn in the corporate world, however you would get to do lots of research and have an excellent qualification at the end of it.

5. Clint Cora

Clint Cora
    uix_expand uix_collapse

When I was in MBA school, there were a lot of engineering people in my classes. It's a good combo if you aspire to be in positions where engineering is only a part of the role. MBA grads with engineering backgrounds can get into more marketing positions for example with engineering firms. They can do more of the business roles that most engineers would not do.

6. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you compare engineering phd and MBA, I can say phd is more valid. Freaky speaking, MBA basically just give you idea on business admin, you can catch up easily after you working for more than 2 years. Suggest complete you phd at this moment, then working for few years. At that moment if you think you like to know more about business admin, you can take part time or full time study on MBA

7. Clint Cora

Clint Cora
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is what most of these engineering MBAs did. They finished all of the engineering education first and applied to MBA school either right away or after they started their careers as engineers.