Math...What's all the types of math that you should know before college?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Chrisj0401, Oct 16, 2009.

1. Chrisj0401

Chrisj0401
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Math...What are all the types of math that you should know before college?

Math...What are all the types of math that you should know before college (after high school)?

I'm asking this because I just got my GED, but I passed the (Individual test) Math GED 3-4 years ago. So, I'm in the refresher mode on things in math that can be easily forgotten if not used constantly. Like fractions- Arithmetic, Pre-algebra, Algebra, Geometry, ect..

I know I need to refresh in Pre-algebra, Algebra, Geometry, and kinda fractions in Arithmetic (which I'm currently doing). What are the other types (besides the ones I've listed) of math that's required to be known in college?

I know if I don’t know certain things in math that I should know in college they'll teach me, but I don’t want to waste grant money, and my time, energy into doing that in under 101 courses. I'd rather do it on my own (which I know I can do, just need to know which types of math to research & refresh in.

#1 Chrisj0401, Oct 16, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  2. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In my high school days, four years of it, we studied about Algebra (basic and advanced), Geometry, and Trigonometry. Those subjects are just quite easy as long as you know the process how to do it.

3. Chrisj0401

Chrisj0401
    uix_expand uix_collapse

what is the math type for measurement systems, like cup. meters, inchnes, ect.?

4. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think that goes in Conversion of Measurements.

5. ekta74

ekta74
    uix_expand uix_collapse

According to me,you must know Algebra and Geometry since these two topics cover the MAIN portion ..

6. Chrisj0401

Chrisj0401
    uix_expand uix_collapse

which algebra is taught in High school or under.. Pre-Algebra? and then regular/advanced-college Algebra in college is taught... right?

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Chris, you might try finding out what text book your college course will be using for Maths. Then get a copy of it and start going through it, that will give you a good foundation for when you start. Even if you just studied the first chapter, that would start you off on a strong footing.

8. Keaton

Keaton
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There is like unlimited amount of different types of maths lol.

Algebra is a massive part (I think) most things I do at school revolve around it.

What sets where you in for maths? i.e top or not?

9. ekta74

ekta74
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Nothing is tough. Mathematics is all about practice !! In high school we study about the basics of algebra and In college,the same thing will be shown in more complicated way or higher values. So if you know the basics and have real good pratice,nothing is difficult. Don't worry and Good luck !!

10. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Don't forget there's also Calculus. :D

11. Chrisj0401

Chrisj0401
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree... I'm very good in the basics, such as adding/subtracting/multiplying/dividing. As long as I got those then sure... but I don’t want to be delayed by learning or trying to learn things I should be expected to know when I'm in college. :D

I was told from one of my teachers that the college wont expect my to know Calculus and Trig., even thought it's taught in High School, it is only taught in high school to expose them and be ready for it in college... That's what she said (teacher).

12. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Learning Calculus depends on the course you will be getting.

13. Chrisj0401

Chrisj0401
    uix_expand uix_collapse

well yea I've checked my program book of the college I will be attending, and I will have to learn Calculus sooner or later... just in college lol... What I'm doing right now is trying to make sure I know everything I should know to be in college thats all. Yea it would be nice to work on Calculus right now, but I'm starting classes in Jan2010, so I got only time for the basics I should know.

14. shuggans

shuggans
    uix_expand uix_collapse

At least College Algebra I would assume

15. johndale

johndale
    uix_expand uix_collapse

College algebra is what I like to study during college. You will surely like it and Calculus too.

16. gtt

gtt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I used to be liking Mathematics and of all the school subjects around, this one's always enthralled me ever since I was in elementary (basic math) days through college (calculus).

Thumbs up to Ancient Babylonians & Sir Albert Einstein :)