Match website function/purpose to domain name.

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by patsensei, Jan 8, 2013.

1. patsensei

patsensei
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi. My website domain is my-own.biz. I have had this domain for ages and never developed it. I kind of liked that name but I have never had any good ideas of what to do with it.... like what kind of a site would suit that domain name. Anyway I would love to hear your ideas. I'm motivated to try something this New Year!
    Thanks,Pat

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

What about a site that gives advice and suggestions on how to set up your own business, or perhaps advice for those that already have their own business?

3. patsensei

patsensei
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That's what I was thinking too but how could I differentiate it from all those other sites? It seems that there are so many sites doing that. I want to find a niche somehow or offer something special.

4. GeekGhost

GeekGhost
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Maybe a one stop resource for everything you'd need to set up a business. Links and articles to incorporation sites/services, hosting companies, virtual office space, telephone systems, virtual PBX, merchant services, etc.

5. cesspadilla

cesspadilla
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well I suggest to list down all the interest you are familiar with. Narrow it down by getting in to more specific topics (e.g. Internet Marketing > SEO > Link Building). Then if you already choose a topic, find websites that discuss them. Study those websites and find out what they are lacking at.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I'd agree with cesspadilla, narrow the broad subject down to a really specific niche that interests you. Then provide excellent content related to that and become the most helpful site in that niche. Once you have achieved that you can broaden your area of expertise and grow the site in that way.

7. pete.mcal

pete.mcal
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It's a perfect fit for advising people to set up their own business (but you want it to have a twist and be different). Why not make some sort of interactive site that helps people decide what business to set up based on their interests?

It would be pretty easy to do. You'd just need a database of jobs and a set of questions. Then create a way of calculating the best match between the user's answers and jobs in your database.

I think this could be a pretty cool idea that could take off if marketed right. The only trouble is you wouldn't be able to get much search traffic without building a brand first. As it's not the sort of thing people would be searching for.

• Like Like x 1
  8. patsensei

patsensei
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That's an or some idea, I like that twist also it would be interesting to integrate success rates of certain businesses and average capital people put into a certain business and mix it all up.
    Thanks guys! I'm definitely taking it all in keep coming with the ideas!