Master Password for All FaceBook Accounts

Discussion in 'Social Media for Business' started by Fergal, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

A candid interview with an anonymous Facebook employee has alleged that all FaceBook employees had access to a "Master Password" that would allow them to access every FaceBook account. It would appear that some FaceBook employees have been fired for misusing and abusing the master password.

The interviewee also discloses that FaceBook holds an amazing amount of data on every account on the social networking site. Read more at The Rumpus.

2. Keaton

Keaton
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't really see this as a massive problem to be honest, they need some sort of way to access accounts to sort out problems. However yes, its kind of annoying that pretty much anyone can see out details, because I'm sure the password is sometimes given out freely.

But, you probably don't relies how much access company works have to things like your credit card details and addresses, which is worse.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Good point Keaton, it can be sometimes quite astonishing to think about how much data companies like Google and FaceBook collect on our Internet usage and their have been many examples of security breaches that have resulted in the theft of credit card details.

The "master password" concept kind of grabs attention but the truth is that most of these employees could probably access your FaceBook account, without the password. As long as all the info stays within the company and is not misused, there really is nothing to worry about.

4. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Master passwords? That's kinda annoying.
    Even if I put my account on private viewing, they can still see my profile and can misuse the information seen there.

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

GekiDan, you can safely assume that they have access to anything you do or write on your FaceBook account.

6. StevenF50

StevenF50
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't see any problem

7. bistones

bistones
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I`m use to writing down the password in a notebook.

8. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

But it's not about your password but facebook admin have a master password to access all accounts.

9. DEADMAN

DEADMAN
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Actually it might be rumour or attention to grab over.

There is no such problem using or accessing facebook accounts in my view. It's just social networking and contains less of business usage or any other information to money.

10. sajjad.axe

sajjad.axe
    uix_expand uix_collapse

thx fergal for very useful info , i never expected this from facebook, i will be cautious from now on, i will ask guys to mail me rather using facebook

11. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

And be sure your Facebook password is different from your other accounts like email and Paypal.