Marketing conflict

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by Liftsmarter, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Liftsmarter

Liftsmarter
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Good afternoon Gents,

I’m in a bit of a pickle. My company has two departments that, due to changes in the market, are in conflict with client interests. One department rents equipment to companies that contract to constructions companies while the other department sells consultation services to contract builders, something that is often provided by the service contractors that are renting from our rental department. I’m not sure how to market to both the service contractor and the building contractor.
    For example, let’s say Bill’s Crane Rental needs to rent 2 lifting beams and some slings and shackles in order to lift a boat for Jimrig Dry Dock & Service.
    In such case, I would advertise all the great gear I have for lifting boats.

However….

Jimrig Dry Dock & Service calls and says, “hey I've got X amount of money to spend and need to know the safest and most cost effective way to get a boat lifted and placed in my dry dock”.
    In such case I would advertise my expertise in lifting consultation and planning services, draw up a lift plan and run some calculations and then send him my recommendations and bid for service. My consulting service may influence Jim to not use Bill's Crane Rental or My consulting may show Bill's Crane Rental to be over priced or worse, incompetent. All is good for our consultants, JDD&S and often the client that hires our consultants will use our rental department, so it is good for all but Bill. Now how do I advertise to both Bill & Jim’s company without coming off as Bill's competition?
    Thanks for the help.

2. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Look at your question again. "Jimrig Dry Dock & Service calls and says, “hey I've got X amount of money to spend and need to know the safest and most cost effective way to get a boat lifted and placed in my dry dock”." Jimrig did not ask about the safest and most cost effective company. Therefore, you are not obligated to recommend a company to use. But, if Jimrig specifically asks what company to use, you have to tell them what your consultants discovered. Has Jimrig already signed a contract with Bill, or is Bill looking for estimates to rent the equipment? If they haven't yet signed a contract, you can let Jimrig know what your consultants have discovered, and let Jimrig decide whether or not to use Bill. If they have signed a contract, you again can tell Jimrig what your consultants have discovered, and let Jimrig take it from there. Either way, DO NOT rent the equipment to Bill. If Jimrig does decide not to use Bill's services, you have lost a customer who is, as you discovered, "over-priced or worse, incompetent". Is that really a bad thing?
    I am not an attorney, so someone who is one can give better advice, but I think if you let Jimrig know what you discovered, and do not rent the equipment to Bill, you should be okay.

• Like Like x 1
    #2 Joseph.Shivell, Oct 15, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2013