Market for childcare businesses?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by mybusinez.com, Jan 7, 2010.

1. mybusinez.com

mybusinez.com
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I built a childcare website a couple of years ago. It wasn't working too well and I didn't have time to run it so I left it alone. I've been recently checking the stats and it's been getting almost 800 page hits per month through Google alone. I'm thinking if I do some more marketing I could increase this quite a lot.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows if there is still a market for childcare and childcare related business? In 2008 I was contacted by one or two businesses that sell to childcare facilities and I was perhaps thinking of giving childcare services free profiles and charging the businesses that are

The funny thing is that when I started this site my main competitor (who turn over roughly 2,000,000euro per year) updated their website and blatantly copied my idea straight away. I assumed this was an attempt to stay on top of the market. I was just very taken aback by the manner in which they copied my idea. I'm not worried though as I have some more great ideas and I am confident I can compete with them if I choose to continue with this business idea.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Has your childcare website got a global appeal or is it targeted to the Irish market. Childcare is huge business in Ireland, that has grown substantially in recent years. This growth came from the increasing number of families, where both parents are working outside of the home.

Like most industries, childcare businesses have been suffering in the recession. Some childcare providers that previously had more demand for childcare places than they could provide, will now be looking for opportunities to market and promote themselves. This could actually be an opportunity for you, if your website helps childcare providers to promote their services.

Would you mind posting a link to your site, or is it confidential? Who is your main competitor - again I understand if you'd prefer to keep this confidential?

3. mybusinez.com

mybusinez.com
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The site is at http://www.irishbandslist.com/childcarestart/ There is a lot of potential there for the site and I'm surprised by the interest by job-seekers and child-minders also. There are over 100 cvs posted on the website. I've also been in touch with B2B clients and they seem interested in advertising on the site.

I think the site definitely has Global appeal but it has almost 450 Irish Creches listed so far and most visitors are from Ireland. I could branch out soon also. If I can get more visitors and childcare facilities on the site it may appeal to more advertisers.

I'm just wondering about the state of Irish Creches and how much they have to spend. I might go over the site and do a Revenue Stream Optimisation Report on it for myself.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

The site looks great and the Adsense ads are very well optimised on it. Is there a reason why you don't have it on the ChildCareStart.com domain?

5. mybusinez.com

mybusinez.com
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I did have it on Childcarestart.com but I didn't bother renewing the name as I didn't have the time or money to keep it going. The Adsense ads have a good CTR but don't make much Per Click. Might make more if I increase visitors 10 fold or maybe try some Adwords campaigns.

6. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well Childcare business is an emerging business with more and more joint families breaking into nuclear ones....New couples living alone do not have any one to guide them regarding child care..The specific thing about this business is that it is not a phenomena that is concentrated to a particular region or country but it is a global trend that can witnesses everywhere.....

So you have a very good potential in this business..other point of confidence is that your competitor is taking advantage of your inactivity and taking the opportunity to build a strong foothold on the same...that means the business and your idea must have some really really strong potential which you might be overlooking or underestimating...
    Have an analysis and self evaluation and concentrate on the business!!!!:) go ahead!!

7. mybusinez.com

mybusinez.com
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes I think you're right about my competitor taking advantage. Unlike my own business though, they have the cushion of a number of regular clients. I still have to build a client list. Once I do though, I think I could be on very good ground.

I'm lucky in that I'm an idea man. If my competitors are blatantly stealing my ideas flat out it shows that they don't have the ideas. That puts me in a good position and and I think they know that. I believe that's one of the main reasons they stole the idea. To quash the competition. It won't work though ;)

I haven't converted it into a proper business and social network yet but I think that could be a way to go. Creches and businesses/ advertisers need to be able to update their details so I might add that facility in. My competitors don't have that :D

Thanks for the advice and suggestions guys.

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

If you are considering this as a business, I'd suggest that you register that domain straight away, before someone else does.