Malicious Chrome extensions target Facebook accounts

Discussion in 'Social Media for Business' started by GekiDan, Mar 28, 2012.

1. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

With Google's Chrome looming as the most popular browser in many areas of the world, Brazilian bad guys are luring users into downloading extensions that may target users of social networking site Facebook.

Source: http://www.securelist.com/en/blog/208193414/Think_twice_before_installing_Chrome_extensions

2. Fowler

Fowler
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Glad I don't use Facebook :D Anyway, I am pretty cautious about what addons I install. I only have a few installed and most of them are very popular ones that have been around a while.

3. patrick0001

patrick0001
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks to sharing the news. Chrome value is keep increasing, I am not surprise that hacker switch their target from IE to chrome.

I have additional question, before an extension release in web store, does Google check and test those extension?

4. cesspadilla

cesspadilla
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I do love Chrome when it comes to loading speed that makes it easier for browsing. I also love their universal address bar where you can also search because it makes it more easier and the look is much simple than firefox which seems too crowded. Thanks for sharing the news, GekiDan!

Well according to the article:

I think they should double their security and check existing extensions in their library.

5. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't really install add-ons on my Chrome so I think I'm safe on this attack. I also don't visit the Google App Store.
    Google should also check on the apps first before putting them on the Marketplace.

6. Host.co.in

Host.co.in
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes no other such app without the authority from Google should be installed on chrome and yes the same is applicable to all other browsers also. With high popularity Social Networking accounts are under a big risk of being hacked.

7. mbitsol

mbitsol
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Glad that i don't put any sensitive information on my FB ID.

8. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You shouldn't. Even though it's Google+ or any other sites. Any information that can be used against you should not be posted on any site.