Malaysia blocks 10 websites that allow illegal movie downloads

Discussion in 'Legal and HR' started by GekiDan, Jun 12, 2011.

1. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

PETALING JAYA: The Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC) wants 10 websites, that allow illegal download of movies and videos, blocked and has told the releavant Internet Service Providers (ISPs) to do so.

MCMC said it received a request from the Domestic Trade, Co-operatives and Consumerism's Enforcement Division which had found that the websites contravened the Copyright Act 1987.

A letter, from the MCMC, believed to be addressed to all ISPs, on the request has been leaked online on blogs in the past few days.

The web addresses listed in the letter included www.warez-bb.org/ and www.megavideo.com/.

Source: http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2011/6/10/nation/20110610161330&sec=nation

• Like Like x 1
  2. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

bad news for Malaysian. Fortunately i dont download movie online
    But this kind of action only benefit those people who are selling illegal movie

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

How does it benefit them? I would have thought that it would benefit the legal sellers and make life more difficult for those operating in the industry illegally.

4. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Pirated DVD is very "popular" in Malaysia. After those movie downloaded site being blocked, they will go for those Pirated DVD. This only benefit those Pirated DVD seller but not others

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I see what you mean Sigma, the suppliers of those pirated DVDs are probably delighted with this government crack down. I wonder will the government also begin to crack down on those DVD suppliers.

6. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, every country's government acts against piracy. But as far as I know, most pirated DVDs here in our country came from neighboring countries such as Malaysia and China.

Of course, like anyone, these will definitely find a way to get around this law. I mean, using different methods.