Making your first dollar online

Discussion in 'Articles & Tutorials' started by agentmanningctu, Aug 13, 2010.

1. agentmanningctu

agentmanningctu
    uix_expand uix_collapse

So you want to make a little money online? That’s a good choice. There is a lot you can do online to make a little extra money. First things first; you’re going to need a way to receive money. Try PayPal. Making an account is free and easy. Users can easily transfer money from credit cards, bank accounts or from their PayPal balance to your account. Once signed up, you may wish to follow the steps to verify your account. This is done by depositing a small amount of money into your bank account. You then enter the information of the deposit on your PayPal account page and you are all set. If you do not have a bank account or do not wish to do this, it’s optional. Still, it appears more professional to have a verified account.

Now you need a way to earn money. Think of something you do daily. For example, right now you’re on a forum. You’re probably going to make a few posts. Many people choose to post on forums for money. What you would do in this exchange is sign up on the requester’s forum and make quality posts. Quality generally means at least two sentences and on-topic discussions. These days, the mean price seems to be around 5 cents (about 3 pence) per post. If you consider the time that goes into the posts and the amount of work it takes, this is a fairly high paying job. Give people examples of your work, be friendly and provide as much information as possible. You can advertise your posting service on a site like BAF or even any promotion forum.

Do you have coding or site/forum installation skills? These skills are incredible value these days. With more and more people on the internet, there are more people who do want to start a website but do not have the skills to do so. You could freelance and ask for hourly pay or you can request pay for each individual task. The pay really depends on the job being done, but in most cases you can earn roughly $5-$10 per job. There is always a potential for higher pay. Make sure you have a portfolio that is public and easily viewable so those interested can view your work. You couldn’t go wrong advertising this service on promotion forums, coding websites and any other tech or business related forum.

It’s really hard to suggest a job for someone. It really comes down to what you like to do and what you are good at. Keep in mind your service should either be high in demand (like forum posting) or unique (such as developing forum mods). Play around for a while. Find what you really like getting paid to do. Try and find something you get paid well for but is also fun. Once you find a nice medium between price and satisfaction, you will be well on your way to some serious money.

2. nbeam

nbeam
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Recommendations

Hi,

I have some experience using joomla, a whole lot of experience using Blogger, and quite a bit of experience with light graphic design. I also have a lot of experience in marketing and imho :) I can write pretty well. I have never done forum design but I think I could pick it up pretty easily.

Here are some website I put together/manage(d)
    http://pcexploits.blogspot.com
    http://actioncoachohio.blogspot.com
    http://classicromcollection.blogspot.com/

(this one is rather old and was only a temporary site, the manager/owner just happens to still have it up)
    http://www.thinkcommunicationwv.com/

(this one isn't very pretty but it is what they wanted)
    http://tskyashgctsm.techservant.net/

All that being said, I was wondering if you had any suggestions about where to get paid for writing forum posts for one, and for another, where else I could possibly find some online work for my other skill-set areas?

Thanks for any advice, I enjoyed your post!

3. agentmanningctu

agentmanningctu
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As far as forum posts go, I would try large promotion forums like Forum Promotion

There are many members that pay for posts daily. Check out FP's marketplace section to get started.

As far as putting your skills to work, you might benefit from a website. Make sure that your website has a portfolio of your work as well as an easy way for someone to contact you for an estimate. Get your website out there. Use promotion forums, Search Engine Optimization techniques and tell everyone you know.

Also at Forum Promotion, some people sell services like these. I often request a graphic for cash. I have also asked for coding help in the past for money. There are always people asking for helping setting up blogs, sites and forums, so you will definitely find something there.

Hope that helps,
    Agent

4. DavidL

DavidL
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Making money online is easy; it's how you market yourself which is the hard part.

I recently bought 5 domains (4 .info domains and 1 .com domain) for a cheap $15. I've sold 3 out of the 4 .info domains for $8.5, and I am selling the 4th .info for $3, meaning I would have $11.5 for 4 .info domains, and to make back my money, I would just need to sell the .com for $3.5, which shouldn't be any issue. Thus, if I were to flip the website on the .com, and sell it for a much higher cost, I've made myself a few dollars, for so far, 2 days work.

Gaining money wasn't the hard part; it was how I marketed myself. I saw that the previous owners had sold them as a bundle, so I thought people may not want them as a bundle, but on the safe side, I allowed a bundle package. I assigned the domains to be $3 each, and selling them on large webmaster and promotion forums would mean that $3 was almost nothing. $3 looks better than $10, so I made special emphasis on the $3 in the sale, and added words like "cheap", "easy" and "Fast".

So, for forum posts, I can sell them for $0.05 or $0.15 per post. Either way, it's how you present yourself and where you present yourself. Good spelling and grammar will get your far; poor English will not. Again, it's how you market yourself on the Internet.

5. hcted

hcted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Most of the revenue I earn off the internet is earned from my web design business. I have tried affiliate programs and that stuff but non of it makes real substance income.

I do most of my work as a part of Chat Bam Web Design, I do very little to no free lance.

Good tips non the less :)

6. nbeam

nbeam
    uix_expand uix_collapse

How long have you done Web Design for and if you don't mind my asking, how well does it pay? I am considering going back to school for Web Design :) as what little I do of it, I enjoy very much and I am looking for a career.

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

nbeam the amount you can earn from web design will very much depend on the quality of your design services. Prices for a web design range from free lancers who provide a basic template or a script install for a few dollars to professional designers who charge tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars for a corporate site.

If you really enjoy doing web design and have a natural talent for it, you could certainly make a career from it, by selling your service online and in your local geographic area.

8. MichaelSullivan

MichaelSullivan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In order to be successful, you have to know where you’re good at. If it’s in writing, look for online jobs intended for it. There are lots of employment opportunities virtually but make sure once you’ve landed on one, comply with your commitments and present a quality work. There’s no room for procrastinators as there are too many employees present in the world wide web.

9. agentmanningctu

agentmanningctu
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That's a very good point. Think long term. Will I want to have this job a month from now? A year?

The more comfortable you are with the job, the more you can earn.

10. MichaelSullivan

MichaelSullivan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Certainly, agentmanningctu. There's nothing more enjoyable but doing the tasks that makes you really happy and comfortable. It would seem like you are just playing and not working but then you're getting paid for it! And that's WOW! :)

11. sandie_nicole

sandie_nicole
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Creating a blog and add adsense, if you love writing this will do! you can also check fiverr.com and offer services.

12. Komputergeek

Komputergeek
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanx all of you for posting your thoughts in this thread. I have get so many sources from here. Thank you all.

13. nadavfima

nadavfima
    uix_expand uix_collapse

thank you guys. fiverr.com will be checked

14. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Gentlemen, please use the Thanks buttons on the bottom right hand corner of the posts in future rather than posting a thank you post. Your name will appear under the post as having said thanks. It keeps down the clutter in the threads.

#14 Kay, Oct 13, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
  15. rakebackblogger

rakebackblogger
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Here's a site I used on two occassions. If you are a good web designer and know wordpress and have a good portfolio to impress future clients try bidding on work here

http://www.wordpressfreelance.com/

I have no affiliation with this site but as stated above, have used it twice to design and build my site and also later to design 2 creatives.

I think if you are looking for experience and references you can offer to do the first few jobs for cheap and then once your reputation has grown you can increase your per hourly rate and also start to advertise your own company on the internet using your testimonials.

16. sneha123

sneha123
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

Hello, I'm sneha, How long have you done Web Design for and if you don't mind my asking, how well does it pay? I am considering going back to school for Web Design as what little I do of it, I enjoy very much and I am looking for a career................:):):)

17. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

sneha123, you will probably get more helpful replies if you start a new thread with your questions, in our relevant forum section. Please let me know if you would like any help with that.

18. James00

James00
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Making money online is really not that tough as you need to be patience but and you need to work hard as well.

19. rakebackblogger

rakebackblogger
    uix_expand uix_collapse

James00, would you care to expand on what can of hard work is needed to succeed. Any help needed here for a newbie.

My biggest worry is putting too much work into something and then realizing 3 months later that all the work was channeled into the wrong area..(This I have first hand experience of!)

Cheers

20. sneha123

sneha123
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

Hello friends,,,,,,,sneha here,,,There are many members that pay for posts daily. Check out FP's marketplace section to get started.

As far as putting your skills to work, you might benefit from a website. Make sure that your website has a portfolio of your work as well as an easy way for someone to contact you for an estimate. Get your website out there. Use promotion forums, Search Engine Optimization techniques and tell everyone you know.

Also at Forum Promotion, some people sell services like these. I often request a graphic for cash. I have also asked for coding help in the past for money. There are always people asking for helping setting up blogs, sites and forums, so you will definitely find something there..........Hope u help me!!!!!!!!!!!!