Making the job your passion

Discussion in 'Articles & Tutorials' started by AnushaJain, Apr 24, 2013.

1. AnushaJain

AnushaJain
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There was a time when work and passion were two different things. However, with advances in the digital and electronic world and change in business practices, that demarcation line is getting blurred and new careers are emerging.

If you are hooked to the social media, you can become an expert on it; if your friends seek your advice on their shopping trips, you can be an image consultant - and so on. The story of today's exciting, emerging careers is - to use a cliched tagline of a sportswear brand - impossible is nothing.

"You can make a career out of what you passionately enjoy doing," says Abha Matthew, a school career counsellor. "A career is more than just a job. You dedicate your entire day, maybe a part of the night too, to it and if it's something you don't enjoy doing, the monotony starts showing in your work. This is why you hear of so many people making a career shift in their 30s and 40s."

Career counsellor Usha Albuquerque adds that as the world becomes more interconnected, new jobs opportunities are opening up.

Social media is one of the most exciting, new avenues that has opened up, career wise. Its power, as a tool to influence people's opinion, is felt like never before. Therefore, a growing number of companies are hiring social media experts whose job is to build their online reputation and offer a platform for instant feedback from consumers.

While these young employees are happy being always available on Facebook, posting updates on the company's news, and tweeting and re-tweeting information, their job also entails reviewing traffic volume, bounce rates and other relevant metrics, developing social media components for new campaigns, helping with blogger outreach and creating long-term solutions for client.

"Businesses depend on reputation, and online reputation is very important today, which social media managers help in achieving by constant monitoring," says Shrenik Gandhi, business head of White Rivers Digital which is into social media management and designing websites.

Sensing the demand in the market, a number of B-schools are now designing courses in social media management. For instance, NIIT Imperia has an advanced course in social media marketing.

For those who are hooked to mobile phone applications and love downloading them, have you ever thought of developing such apps and pursuing a career as a mobile application programmer?

"With 110 million mobile phone users in the country, a mobile application programmer is an upcoming and promising career that has a huge scope to be creative," Albuquerque said.

Apart from developing the apps, the job profile may require combating security and compatibility issues. Knowledge of interface design, network communications, web services, SQLite databases, GSP framework and location based services is recommended for such professionals.

As India juggles to achieve a balance between pushing up its GDP, ensuring inclusive growth and attempting to address issues ranging from education to climate change, another career option that is expected to be the next big thing is to be a social entrepreneur.

"Social entrepreneurs are those people who have the ability to recognise a pressing social problem, and then using innovative ideas manage a venture to address that problem. Unlike business entrepreneurs, social entrepreneurs don't measure performance by profit and loss, and are mostly associated with voluntary organisations," Matthew said.

So, if working for a cause that you truly believe in is your calling, then this is the career for you. Experts, however, suggest a field experience before the final decision, just so that you can test your level of passion.

And if you are one of those who believes in the adage, 'First impression is the last impression', maybe you can choose a career in image consultancy.

"An image consultant guides people to optimally use their clothing, grooming and body language to create a powerful impression. They also provide other services like styling services to fashion brands, uniform design, image management policy designs and the like. The power of personal appearance goes a long way in personal, professional and social life," said Rachna Prasad, an image consultant.

The overarching idea is that you can build a career on your passion. Even if it's to create sauces in the kitchen...didn't we mention that speciality chefs - saucier, patissier - can also be a good career calling, what with food going global and cookery shows stealing the show?

2. nickol

nickol
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would like to say that without passion you are not able to get a job and if probably you get the job but without passion you could not maintain it. So Its clear that passion is the key of success.

3. zunick

zunick
    uix_expand uix_collapse

By making JOB as a passion will raise a employe to the limits of sky and makes their life or feature bright.

4. Ivana B.

Ivana B.
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think this actually applies to everything in your life. I use to do some work that I disliked. My heart was NOT in it, and now I am starting a brand new service business and I've got to say - I love it...I am exited...I can see how I can help people and that makes me very happy :)

5. Pmedhavi

Pmedhavi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello Everyone,

We are providing Job Consultancy. Vrrittih is a well-praised Job Placement consultancy in Ahmedabad, offering jobs where you can upload your resume online, e resume, video resume.

6. theropes101

theropes101
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Being passionate to your job will keep you excited on your work, you will always feel the thrill that it will brought you and you will never get bored, even if you do it forever. And passion will always keep you on track!

7. bmwillsmith

bmwillsmith
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Once you enter into your favorite and loving field then you can enjoy it with a great passion. And you have written a great article with good message and technology related things. Very nice write up madam. I always like to read your postings.

8. peter90

peter90
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Nice Article Anusha and i got to know ample of things from your thread.I would like to say one thing if you haven't show passion in your field then you can't do work.

9. Michael Leng

Michael Leng
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Firstly, find what is your kind of ideal job. Do what you love is the key of success and happiness for our life. Anyway, everyone doesn't have the chance to choose their choice even there are lots of different jobs in these day.

Anyway, in these digital era, I agree that it's very good time for the one who have skill in digital world. Communication without border through internet is very significant. We can work, sell, chat etc. to each other in real time but low cost. I do love it.^^

10. abhi_garg

abhi_garg
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello Anusha, This is amazing summary about job passion But It also a Big fact Most of people don't make job passion. They just change their work.

11. infinityweb

infinityweb
    uix_expand uix_collapse

For me, my job is truly a passion because I wouldn't be here and enjoying my tasks if it isn't what I want. And I wouldn't have any knowledge on internet marketing services if I didn't follow my passion. Thanks for that wonderful post you made.

12. boysingh

boysingh
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Everyone has their own points, yes oh yes, you will really need that passion in your job to function and work as the best you can be, without that passion, you will just find your self being so lazy with your current job..