making online dictionary

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by daytrader, Mar 28, 2012.

1. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm planing to create an online dictionary of a local dialect, has anyone every tried this website?
    I might need something like a wiki script where users can edit a page or put meaning to a word. this way people who knows this language can participate. will this be profitable business?

2. Bliss Elliosn

Bliss Elliosn
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thumbs up for the idea.
    For which language are you going to design the online dictionary?
    and how will you make your profit?

3. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

with the help of users and ad networks, I guess it can be profitable. The language is actually a very local dialect. We have so many dialect here in the Philippines where one race have its own. Say a race with a population of about 5 million will participate and put their dialect online before their entire new generation forgets their own dialect. So maybe letting them help me populate the online dictionary can be great.

4. Business Attorney

Business Attorney
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Sounds like a great idea, from a societal point of view. I'm not sure how profitable it would be, but if the users provide all the content, you should be able to keep your cost pretty low.

5. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm thinking maybe adding also a forum for them. :D

the language nowadays are not mostly used by the newer generation so the people who knows it well are almost few which are older ones so before the dialect totally will vanished, I shall let them save it.

6. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You need to try the new idea before you know whether it is profitable.
    By the way, this seems a good idea

7. Bliss Elliosn

Bliss Elliosn
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That shows your true affection for the dialect. So you are going to serve a very noble purpose, working to save a local dialect that's about to vanish, if not saved.
    I'd say lots of best wishes for your project. :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
  8. patrick0001

patrick0001
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As long as the site able to attract large audiences, money will goes to your pocket automatically. There are lot of adviser keep on searching popular site for advertisement.

By the way, I does start an online dictionary for SEO, may be you can take it as a model. My site http://malaysiaseoblog.com/, I not too sure how is reader response, so I begin it as SEO glossary and hoping that with rich content, the site able to get rank in all major search engine. Once my blog have great audience, I can upgrade it to be a wiki site, switch to SEO social bookmarking site, or even turn it become a forum.

Keypoint: increase audience first, then make the further plan according to audience needs.

9. riteshnarula

riteshnarula
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes This is a good idea i will wait for your directory.