Making Money with a Blog: Step-by-Step

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by Cynthiab, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Cynthiab

Cynthiab
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Making money with a blog is a fascinating subject and one that perplexes a lot of people. If you look around the Internet you'll find tons of people claiming that anyone can make millions with their blog. People get excited and then they get disappointed.

So here's the real deal. You can make money with a blog but MOST people won't make a million dollars. You can make enough to buy a nice dinner now and again or some movies from Amazon and if you learn your lessons well, you can end up making a tidy sum each month and maybe a full-time living.

It's not a get rich quick scheme - it takes time and patience but it can work for you.

I'd like to talk about the basics of putting together a blog that pays. A niche site, not a "how to make money blogging blog". Go into it looking to cover your hosting costs and everything above that is cake money.

Interested? Come along for the ride.

I run several blogs but we'll use one of my more typical blogs that anyone could have put up as an example. It's HauntedTelevision.com and it's devoted to my love of spooky TV.

STEP ONE

Pick a subject you like. Seriously. Forget what people say is popular or a sure thing. If you hate this subject this will never work. Pick a topic you really like and then try to narrow it down.

For example:

TV is good
    Paranormal TV is better.

Cars is good
    Sports Cars is better
    Mustangs is even better than that.

Want to toss around some ideas? Post them here and we'll help you narrow it down. And start thinking about possible domain names cause that comes next!

Join me by building your own project along with me and we'll see who comes out on top by the end of March. Anyone game? Let's do it.

Cyn

2. BillGatesJr

BillGatesJr
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That's a good tip and offer... im interested in such a wonderful service.

It's a blessing we have you here in business advice forum! Cheers!

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I plan on starting a blog soon with quick tips in the area of new business start ups and personal success. I'll post back here with an update, if this thread is still active, when I get it up and running.

4. paul

paul
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Blogging can be a nice resource if updated regularly like your daily newspaper so that anyone who finds something useful then come back later for further updates. If your blog gets popular it really mints money. Just select your topics wisely and then shoot a message everywhere targeting masses.

5. Cynthiab

Cynthiab
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is very true and the choosing the topic can really make or break you. I've seen people come in with no topic - just a random bunch of posts (not talking about personal blogs here) and those are hard to monetize. A good niche that you can add a fresh twist to works, try to bite off too much and you won't get an audience.

Popular blog topics:
    How to Make Money on the Web
    Freelance writing
    Health and exercise (watch me lose weight types)
    Gadget blogs are always hot
    Political blogs can bring you a lot of eyeballs.
    Blogs that focus on popular shows such as Survivor, American Idol, etc.

But you have to be prepared to load regular content. That's the trick.

6. Cynthiab

Cynthiab
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Time to buy a domain name! It can be frustrating as it will seem like all of the great names are gone but there are some fun ways to find good ones. The Duke of URL is a program that offers suggestions based on words you type in. You should also use a keyword checker to see if you're heading down the right road. You can use the Google Adwords tool to see if others are bidding on your keywords. That's a good sign that you're looking for a popular term.

If need be, use a thesaurus to help you find similar words (ie. girls, ladies, females, chicks). And don't be afraid to get creative. I mean look at ebay and facebook? What did those words mean to anyone before the sites were developed?

Godaddy is my favorite registrar, but there are hundreds of places where you can check out domain names for sale and buy! It's under 10.00 for a .com, so take a chance.

7. BlueEew

BlueEew
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would say plan a blog.

Then create the blog.

Post on the blog, get some good content.

Advertise the blog.

Keep advertising and adding content.

Money is generate after all this hard work. :)

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Cynthia, that Duke of URL is an excellent link. Thanks for sharing. It came up with some really great suggestions for me. It is a very clever tool and adds in very relevant and appropriate words to its domain suggestions.

9. Cynthiab

Cynthiab
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, that's all very true, but I'm amazed at how many people say HOW? How do I "create" a blog. Where does the name come from, etc. So I thought I'd break it down a bit more.

10. genX

genX
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Blog is really a nice thing to write your experiences and also source of knowledge for others who go through with it......... So i suggest everyone to share their knowledge with others through the medium of blog writing........

11. superbike

superbike
    uix_expand uix_collapse

cynthiab , nice to share with us. I have a few blogs but until now do not know how to generate my revenue. Anyway, thanks for giving me some ideas :D

12. BlueEew

BlueEew
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Cynthiab, I was just wondering do you have many blogs? Just wanted to know how many bloggers own usually.

Also I have always wanted to make money from using blogs. I have done the research but I have never got down and done one.

13. Cynthiab

Cynthiab
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Right now I have (counting. . . ) 7 blogs that I own - mostly TV related. Then I work for a couple of blog networks.

Many people will recommend putting up 100's of blogs and filling them with ads and scraped content (other people's work coming in on an RSS feed) and I guess if all you're concerned with is making a buck that could work. I believe in building good websites that make you a little money in return. I don't plan on retiring on my sites but in addition to money I get some fun perks and I enjoy what I'm doing. I would never build a blog I didn't like just to make cash. There are easier ways to make money.