Making a profit on consumer goods

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by ja434650, Jun 17, 2013.

1. ja434650

ja434650
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey Guys,

I'm new to the forum and new to business. I have recently started a business where I sell care packages filled with consumer goods. The only problem is I am finding that consumer goods don't have a very good profit margin. Do you think there is any way to source directly from manufacturers like P&G?

Also, I'm not quite sure how the consumer goods industry works. P&G and Unilever are the primary manufacturers of consumer goods right? And they sell to many smaller wholesale distributers right?

Thanks,
    John

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum John, thanks for joining and posting your business questions.

Is your business based in the US?

Can you please tell us a little more about your packages and the type of products they contain?

3. Julie

Julie
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You can explore their website for information of their distribution list and locators, this will help you to find your desired product and its distributors in your near locality.

4. platnumcn

platnumcn
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There has to be a source of info for such data available on the internet. I mean that there has to be people, who you can contact directly for such information.

Generally for consumer goods, if you are looking to deal with the organization making it, you will have to confirm them with a huge gross sale. They will not give distributorship to random people, especially if they are recognized entity in the market. This is why, if you are not sure of having huge sale, you will have to deal with distributors in your area and with less profit.

5. DogwoodGroupInc

DogwoodGroupInc
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I seriously doubt it. If that was the case, random people could just buy directly from them, also, they sell their products in gross. If the order isn't large they won't even entertain it.

6. James Faulkner

James Faulkner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The profit margin depends upon the type of products and the demand of products that how customers deal with the products and what is their attitude towards product. The more selling will create more profit margin.

7. AnushaJain

AnushaJain
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi john, firstly you have to see the need of the consumers,that what are their demands.You go with the demand and supply rule it will help you to get the proper profit margin.