Making a printing business go international?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by clifborder4fm, Mar 11, 2013.

1. clifborder4fm

clifborder4fm
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey guys, so if you have a local printing business making the usual business cards, binders, brochures and so on, how would you make something like this more international in terms of doing business in different countries? What could you offer to attract international businesses/clients? Is there a way to form a partnership with printing businesses in other countries and outsource projects?

2. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I doubt making this business international....matching the cost, delivery and quality is a challenge which can not tackle on global level in international business if you plan to operate from your country.....

If opening branches, then it's another story and different level...

3. clifborder4fm

clifborder4fm
    uix_expand uix_collapse

agreed. It's a very local type of business. Here is what one business has done: http://www.cgx.com/Our-Services/International-Printing-664.html

I was thinking making poster advertisements for international businesses or something of that sort, but then it seems like we are getting into a new field of business...

4. Ted

Ted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If I was trying to build a business like that into an international one, then I would use Vista Print as my role model example of how to do things properly. Vista Print is a dominant company in this niche.

I have done business with them personally and here is why:
    1) They have a killer offer of giving away business cards for free (that is a real attention grabber)
    2) Their website is excellent - It allows you to easily customize the look and layout of your product
    3) They have a reliable delivery process where you get the product when they say you are going to get it.
    4) Their prices are very inexpensive compared to a local printer
    5) They offer massive discounts on product upsells if you buy them at the same time as your original purchase. - Doing that really pressures you to buy everything you have been thinking about trying.

In fact, I don't know how local printers can compete with that company at all. I bet that well run online companies like that are really hurting the local printer.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ShaneMark

ShaneMark
    uix_expand uix_collapse

For international businesses advertisements consists global advertising with Google's online tools to help research and find new markets, target ads and expand your international clients environment.

6. 2misi.com

2misi.com
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi, I think you just need promotions.. promotions and more promotions. I just saw a video on Youtube about the t-shirt printing business, I think they managed to introduce a tutorial about the business.
    If you want, you can try to make and place a video on Youtube about your printing business to make it more interesting for people to look at.

7. elids1979

elids1979
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have to agree with most of the previous posts.
    There are big scale economy here that is really not worth taking the business internationally, the giants like vistaprint have low costs since they work on volumes and international marketing team.
    The basic idea is to fight with the Giants only if you bring something new to the game, some kind of new process, since it is not the case here, I would stay away and focus on a niche or a specific region.

8. hiltontian

hiltontian
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Printing business is with relatively low barriers to entry and maybe has been being occupied by native providers already. the only way is to build a remarkable brand of business printing gradually and let it be known worldwide, then build franchising cooperation with the business in some other contries.

9. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think Printing Business is a local business unless you print something of your own rather than printing others choice. It's because there are local printing business around you and there are many. You need to something specific or special to make it go International.

I think it's like you can't make a restaurant International But you can make your Food business International.

10. Webcs-Peter

Webcs-Peter
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Printing business can be profitable if you know how to run it.

11. cardsmart007

cardsmart007
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Printing business is very great.I think advertisements on google or seo can help you.

12. fayt

fayt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I recommend doing what vistaprint does. Have a CMS/store website and allow people to create custom products on the website. Throw in deals with package deals and you're set.

13. rfid999

rfid999
    uix_expand uix_collapse

First,you should have a B2C website.Second,you ought to look for some online printing companies,then get their email address and telephone.Third, contact with them at once. I know some companies like Ecardtec.com,cards-mart.com,cushyprinting.com,they are all online printing service providers.I hope this will help you.

14. ellisthomas86

ellisthomas86
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Printing business throws light locally instead of going internationally. Yes, if you are ready to invest with the physical presence of a full set up internationally where ever you are targeting the business to set up for, then I would suggest to go with the digital marketing approach for expanding the business in a more broader manner.

15. Chris_Tax

Chris_Tax
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I like your idea

Going international expands your customer base tremendously. I would be focusing on the higher end sales. The amount of work in shipping and customer service as you know is tremendous

16. 3dtech

3dtech
    uix_expand uix_collapse

thanks for this information.There are a number of strategies one can employ to enter international markets but then again, there are a few obstacle withe each of these that need to be overcome.