Lucrative Languages to Learn

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Quacker Jack, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Quacker Jack

Quacker Jack
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What would you consider to be the most lucrative languages to know in the Business world? Do you know this from experience, or just a guess? I think it goes without saying that Chinese is one. It is such a difficult language, from what I hear. It is one of the languages I am seriously considering to learn if I am really serious about International Business. I would be interested to hear others thoughts. How does German rank? Japanese? Spanish?

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Like a lot of things in life, I feel that you will be more successful if you focus on something you love, rather than something you believe will be profitable. If I was going to learn a new language I would pick a language that I was passionate about or the language from a country I loved. That would greatly increase my chances of learning it really well and hence improve the opportunities that I could make money from the skill.

Learning a language that I didn't like or from a country I didn't respect, would be a drudge for me, I'd be more likely to give up on it before I became proficient in it.

However, there will obviously be lots of people who have a different view than me.

• Like Like x 2
  3. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have heard French to be most lucrative international language for people in business world...don't know the reason for this....but the fact is that people are crazy in my country to learn French...and some dedicated academies are also running successfully ...

4. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If I could learn every language that the world has today, then that would be great. It's my passion to learn different language and I am not limited to languages that I like and don't like.
    Knowing and learning the language of another country would also help me understand little by little a part of their culture [outside business interest] and a lot more.

As Fergal said, we all have different point of views for it.

Regards,
    Mark T

5. Mike Yanek

Mike Yanek
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think that English is ok, I mean there are so many languages, and most of the business people speak and learn English anyways.
    Yes Mandarin is good if you are planing to do business with main land China, if you are planing to do business with Hong Kong then you need Cantonese (witch is 10 times harder then Mandarin). But I think stick with English and know some very basic Spanish and Mandarin. :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. LiquidServe

LiquidServe
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think Chinese and Japanese would be great to invest time in!

7. Yomu zoku

Yomu zoku
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am agree what Fergal said, one should join in which he interested or love to learn as a second language. For eg. if someone like to learn Japanese online they will opt for a course which is easy to use and learn it in a better way.

#7 Yomu zoku, Nov 28, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2016