ltd company forms, please help!!

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by SwanyP321, Feb 28, 2010.

1. SwanyP321

SwanyP321
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi all,
    I (stupidly) set up a ltd company a year ago. I have no business experience and I am very much regretting what seemed like a few simple clicks back then. I will be applying to have it struck off soon, but right now I am trying to file my bits and bobs. I have just filed the annual return without too many probs. But now I'm stuck. The company only made about £400 profit back in June (not the fortune I was hoping for). The made up date = now. No debts, losses - or outgoings of any kind. No members, nothing complicated.

I just want to get whatever companies house/HMRC need filed, without any costly advice. The simpliest form of online template for accounting records, seem to be the one for dormant companies. "Dormant companies can claim exemption from audit and need only prepare and deliver to Companies House an abbreviated balance sheet and notes".

As my company hasn't traded since june and only traded twice - would I be able to claim dormancy or is there any other way I can avoid a lengthly learning process with regards to creating accounts that won't be rejected.

Any help/advice would be very much appreciated.

2. seanstevens

seanstevens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As you have traded you will need to file some accounts. You won't need any complex accounts. Just get an excel spreadsheet and list all of your costs on one side and your incomings on the other. You should be able to file just simple unaudited accounts as I'm guessing your overall sales were not large on a £400 profit. You can get a 30 day trial of some simple accounting software (something like Solar Accounting) and it will format everything for you or you can go to companies house and use their webfiling option (I think there is a £15 fee) and you can add in the information directly there and they will tell you if they accept it or not.

As soon as you have filed you should complete the appropriate form to close the Ltd company if you no longer require it or make the application to make it dormant. If dormant you will still need to file a yearly return.

3. SwanyP321

SwanyP321
    uix_expand uix_collapse

THANKS Sean!

Will the final document I come up with suffice for both Her Majesty AND company house, or do they both have seperate requirements??

4. seanstevens

seanstevens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

HMRC and CH usually want slightly different documents, but they similar enough not to cause issues once you have done the first. HMRC will be looking to see if you owe any tax on profits. CH will only be interested in making sure you have filed correctly.