Loyalty Rewards Cards

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Maximillion, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Maximillion

Maximillion
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello everyone,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post my question..

ok, let me try to explain what i would like to do without trying to confuse anyone..

ok, so say on my computer at my business - i would like to have software installed and a card reader/writer on the table next to the computer with a stack of reward cards..

basically what i want to do is when a customer asks or is offered a rewards card.. i could run the software - swipe the card and then the sofware will have the card number - i then enter the customers name and such..

so i want to say activate/register the cards without having to fill something out and they have to wait for the card to come in the mail.. they could have their rewards card right there and then...

so when they pay their bill, we can swipe the card and add so many points for every doloar they spend..

is there software and hardware already available?

any help would be greatly appreciated..

Thank you,
    Maximillion

#1 Maximillion, Sep 1, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  2. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

For some reason, I have a few concerns about this process. Basically, you have, at your business, a computer and a "stack" of rewards cards. First question, where did the rewards cards come from? Then, when a customers asks for or is offered a rewards card, you swipe the card and you have the card number. You then claim that the reason is so the customer doesn't have to wait for the card in the mail, they could have the card immediately - but they don't have the card, or the card number - you do. When the customer pays their bill you swipe the card.
    Interesting thing about that word - swipe. It can have a couple of different meanings. If the whole process is done electronically, or online, why have an actual card? Your software should have a record of the customer's account number. It should be able to add any points to the customer's order automatically, whether it is done at the time of purchase or payment. If an actual card is necessary, why not let the customer have the card, and the card number? Once they've registered, you have the card number - you can let them use the number immediately if they wish, until the actual card arrives in the mail. Why do you have control of the card, and not the customer? Something doesn't sound right to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Maximillion

Maximillion
    uix_expand uix_collapse

They get the card after the registration.. they have control of the card. It's just easier and faster to get the cards in person right there and then instead of them waiting for it in the mail from a third party.. i don't want a third party creating our rewards cards..

#3 Maximillion, Sep 2, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  4. Maximillion

Maximillion
    uix_expand uix_collapse

like some stores you can go to and get a rewards card right there and then.. they type in your info.. swipe the card through and hand it to you right on the spot.. that's the same thing i want to do.. when you go to the cashier to pay for your stuff, they ask you if you have a rewards card - you hand it to them..

only difference is, that in my business we have a prototype of something that is currently being manufactured that you can use the same rewards card with.. i'm not at liberty to say what it is yet because that particular item is another business we are aiming to open as well.. you can't use third party made cards.. with this item as it not part of a POS system... so by creating our own cards we control what is put onto the card so the item we are building can read it the way we want it to..

so my question still stands.. as to how or where i can get the software and hardware.. like how these other places do it?

to answer your concerns..
    as for my business - me or one of my waitresses swiping the card at time of payment is normal - i never saw a customer walk up to the cashier's station or behind the counter and start ringing up and paying by swiping their own rewards/credit cards.. have you? customers are not authorized users to any register no matter where you go.

in a restaurant you put your credit card/cash and rewards card in the checkbook they bring to your table.. they come back to your table with a slip for you to sign.. that slip will tell you how many points you earned through the POS... at any other business place - you hand them your credit card/cash - (however you are paying) and hand them your rewards card.

so they are in control of their own cards.. we are in control of what is put on them as we are the ones making them. with third parties.. you don't know what info they are putting on the cards, so our prototype won't read it properly because it doesn't know all the info on the card..

this make more sense now? i didn't mean for it to sound confusing in my very first post..

i know i can buy a card reader/writer and blank cards.. i'm wondering about the software that makes the writer put the info on the cards.. so i'm sure you can pick up a software/hardware set - i just don't know what it's called or where to get it... if other places are doing it, then i see no reason as to why i cannot

#4 Maximillion, Sep 2, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  5. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

My confusion was because you didn't mention the type of business you have. Yours is a legitimate business, there are others that are not. These other businesses also have a stack of cards, and they use information from others to create a bunch of fake cards that they then sell, or use themselves. Because you did not mention the type of business, it raised a "red flag" - no offense was intended. I was unaware that this was to be done at a physical location.
    As far as your own business, I have actually seen some restaurants with a machine attached to the register where the customer can scan their credit card themselves. Although they are limited to stores(as far as I know), there are also machines where the customer can scan their reward card themselves - but you are right about the cashiers. In cases where a cashier must ring up the sale, the customer must hand the cashier their rewards card, but their credit card can be scanned by the customer.
    In most cases that I have seen, when a customer is offered a rewards card, the card information is entered into the register at the time of purchase. The software is part of the POS system, so you can check with the manufacturer or distributor of your cash registers to see how to get it. An initial supply of cards may be included, and/or they can tell you where you can order them.