Lots of interest, but no sales

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by bl4ckhole, May 29, 2012.

1. bl4ckhole

bl4ckhole
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi guys,

About a year ago I set up a business for my girlfriend to run to make some side money while I was working my job as a Systems Administrator II for a large financial company. I have ran many businesses in the past that went well until one thing or another caused me to move on.

After I created the web site, e-store, facebook and twitter pages, over a few months time we got a lot of attention after one of our products was featured (in a positive way) in a magazine, we reached nearly 5K facebook likes, 2K twitter followers, and a great deal of web site hits. We receive several customers that register, fill up their carts, then leave the e-store before even paying. We sent out a survey to customers that had registered and if they completed it, they would received 25% off. We ended up only received two surveys back, both pretty much said the same thing about how our homepage design had too much white and gray, really lacking color and excitement, which left me even more confused, because our e-store is a completely different design, more colorful and creative...that still doesn't explain why people left at the e-store.

We tested and tested again our shopping cart and cc processor to make sure everything was working OK and everything was processing securely over SSL (for the record we accept all major cc's). Our primary advertising methods have been Google Ad words (which we had approx. $500/month budget for a 3 months campaign), word-of-mouth, fashion convention booths, mailers, etc. As you can see, our marketing/advertising plan could use some serious improvement. Any suggestions for effective, yet affordable marketing would be helpful. My girlfriend found a talented leather smith to design and create the luxury hand bags and clutches, and she said our niches would be affordable luxury, durability, and a 2 year no questions asked warranty on the bags. I know what you're probably thinking...this market is so saturated there isn't any way possible to compete with established brands like Coach, Gucci, Louis Vitton, and Fossil...Well, I still think it's possible, but I'm still unsure myself how to get to that point. We have tried running special sales and I'm completely re-designing the website as we speak, perhaps that will help out a bit. I'm also working on setting up a live chat feature to allow for more interaction with the customers. Most of our sales have come from word of mouth rather than the advertising we're using...I've been trying to think up some ideas to create a buzz..No luck yet. I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks everyone.

-C.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

You might want to check the shopping cart application a bit more carefully. Perhaps get some beta testers to try it out on their home computers or mobile devices and ask them to report back to you, regarding how well it works for them.

I'd also suggest that you consider providing a Live Help facility on your site. This will encourage customers to contact you, if they experience any difficulties or confusion during the check out process.

• Like Like x 1
  3. bl4ckhole

bl4ckhole
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks, Fergal. We'll give the shopping cart suggestion a try. Perhaps it just needs another set of eyes to spot the problem. I'm glad you agree that the live chat will help as well.

• Like Like x 1
  4. garrett123

garrett123
    uix_expand uix_collapse

you might want to add some signals of trust in your sales funnel. Like "social proof". If you got some attention, its likely that you have twitter and facebook followers. You can add a twitter counter or facebook friends widget, to show that other people like your product.
    You can also make a graphic that says "as seen in" the magazine you were featured in.
    Also include a 100% satisfaction guarantee symbol, e-trust, hackersafe buttons, to make sure customers know your website is legitimate.

You should be split testing pages to see which get the best results.

• Like Like x 1
  5. sbb9

sbb9
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It's difficult to say what's wrong without seeing your website. Is it simply that you are not getting your sales message across well enough? Would your website copy encourage you to buy if you were a customer?

6. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You may try providing promo codes to buy in your shopping cart. it might work. :D

• Like Like x 1
  7. Choice Checks

Choice Checks
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have noticed that during the past 2 days that sales have increased some. Not alot, but better than it was last week for sure. It seams like that before a major holiday, that sales are slow the week before of the holiday and it picks back up afterwards.

8. Yigal

Yigal
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Make sure that your site is optimized for call to action. things like top right corner should be a "my cart" button. If you have a contact phone number it needs to be in a different color and also in the top right corner. I personally never buy from a site that i can't verify customer feedback, look into Google Shopping and see how you can get on that and follow up with customers that already bough or that took part of the beta testing and give them intensives to write a customer review.

• Like Like x 1
  9. untitled

untitled
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Have the sales been increasing steadily over time?

10. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

• Like Like x 1
  11. bl4ckhole

bl4ckhole
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. They are all very good. I will be adding the facebook widget, twitter follower counter, and an e-trust seal. I do have archived customer reviews that I could use on the website. In regards to promo codes, we have been using those for awhile and actively give them away via our social network outlets. I'll be sure to read the e-book above as I feel it will be useful. Thanks everyone for your assistance!

• Like Like x 1