Lost YOUR domain name?

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by ProfitClinic, Dec 16, 2010.

1. ProfitClinic

ProfitClinic
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Back in July-September 2010 I was seriously ill and unable to renew the domain name for my hosting reseller account (profitclinichosting.com).

I'd made the mistake, in September 2007, of registering the domain name through the hosting company I was a reseller for at the time. BIG mistake (and I knew better, but I wasn't well then, either, so the mistake was just an easier option.)

After months of increasing frustration with that hosting company (more and more limitations on functionality and features for "security reasons") I decided to transfer all my hosting to another provider in February 2010, but then had no end of trouble transferring the domain name. So I registered the domain name profitclinichosting.net instead and used that for my new reseller account.

The renewal notices from the registrar of profitclinichosting.com were sent to the original hosting company (a domain reseller). I didn't receive any renewal notices and missed the renewal deadline. My late payment was accepted by the reseller — but the registrar refused to renew.

They had bigger things in mind.

Some weeks later I received a notice that the domain had expired and was now "in redemption" (registrar-speak for "being held for ransom"). Now, for a minimum fee of US$270, I could renew the domain for which I'd originally paid US$5.00 and had renewed it previously for US$10.

Within hours I started receiving emails from online domain services offering my my expired domain for sums as widely different as US$97 (the lowest) and US$299, with warnings that it could rise to US$2,790 if I didn't pay urgently.

As a matter of principle I refuse to negotiate or do business with thieves, domain hijackers or domain name squatters. They're bottom-feeders of the lowest order. Parasites.

So I sent the registrar, the reseller and the other domain services offering to sell me my own domain name the following notice:

Then I posted Google Sidewiki notices on every one of their sites, warning prospective buyers of the fact that they risked being sued for "passing off" as The Profit Clinic if they used the domain name.

Interestingly, we received a notice this morning of a refund from the original hosting provider/domain name reseller, and advice that the domain name was now "out of redemption".

I went to our regular domain registrar for .com names and re-registered it for just US$7.70.

The lessons to be learned?

1. Set your domain names for auto-renewal so you avoid the whole nonsense in the first place.

2. If you lose registration, and it's a name closely allied to your business, don't be held to ransom. Take the fight to the registrars and resellers. Make it potentially MUCH more painful for them to sell your domain name to someone else than to simply abandon it.

This is reverse selling: you have to make it safer, easier, better and smarter for them NOT to resell your domain name than to buy it themselves (for squatting on it) or to sell it to someone else.

3. Use ALL of the weapons at your disposal. Sidewiki notices can be very effective when used in this way.

4. Don't give in to blackmail and scare tactics!

I hope this is useful to anyone in a similar situation. Never give up hope, and never cave in to parasites and thieves.

John

2. habeebraja

habeebraja
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think we have to take always a good plan before taking a domain.As the Idea you have given its really very good.After taking the domain we have to renew it after every year,otherwise other will take our domain name.

3. customdb

customdb
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This has been a helpful post. Thank you very much. I was looking for something like this.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

What a great story, thanks for sharing it with us John. I'm delighted to hear that you got your domain back and there are great lessons there for anyone being held to ransom.

5. ProfitClinic

ProfitClinic
    uix_expand uix_collapse

G'day again all :D

Here's a new twist on this scenario, but this time about expired domain names belonging to others.

I registered the domain name whynetworkmarketingworks.info a year or two ago for giving away an ebook I'd written. The domain name whynetworkmarketingworks.com was already registered by someone else, whom I'd met a short time after I registered my own domain name, coincidentally.

This morning, I received a rash of offers from the usual suspects touting that, since I already owned whynetworkmarketingworks.info, I'd be sure to be interested in whynetworkmarketingworks.com, which was now available for (USD$47 to $270) through them.

So I checked the whois database, confirmed that it was, indeed, available, unencumbered, so I registered it for just USD$7.33 through GoDaddy.com.

Lesson to be learned: NEVER buy through these leeches. Always check the database at whois.net (or the relevant country registrar whois service). If it's available, register it at the regular price, then smile and enjoy the spectacle of these low-life parasites promoting up a storm — and getting zip for their trouble!

John

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Why do you call them "leeches"? Most industries have people who buy and sell within that industry, these people are essentially traders and personally I don't see anything morally or ethically wrong with it.

7. ProfitClinic

ProfitClinic
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Fergal,

When they lie, misrepresent, gouge on price and prey on the inexperience and ignorance of others, they're parasites — whether you call them leeches, worms or other forms of bloodsuckers. Leeches are what leeches do.

Every single one of the companies and individuals who contacted me misrepresented the truth. Most claimed that they were in the process of acquiring the domain name. (No easy feat!) The price range was in the order of 1,000%. When I checked the WHOIS database, NONE of them appeared, anywhere.

In each case where this has happened in recent months, and I've checked the availability of the domain name, NONE of them had acquired it.

Their notifications and pitches are worded in deliberately misleading fashion. To date, I have NO notifications or pitches on file that are not in the same kind of boat as bogus domain name registrars who send fake notices claiming that your domain name (or a modified version) is about to expire and for just $270 you can renew it through them.

When people and companies stoop to these kinds of tactics, I see a great deal wrong with it, morally and ethically.

John

8. hetalhet

hetalhet
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks ProfitClinic for sharing your story with us. What you faced was really panic but It taught us many things and what mistakes we should always avoid. Thank you again.. Hope everything will be fine at your end very soon.

9. bmwsedan

bmwsedan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well i am in a bit of weird kind of situation i have had a domain and i worked on it much but unfortunately due to some reason i couldn't renew it. and got emails from the registrar many times and now its dropped but i cant get it any help how can i get my drop domain back as i cant re register it.

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Who was the domain registered with bmwsedan? Did you contact them directly?