Lost in creativity

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by TJA, Mar 16, 2014.

1. TJA

TJA
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello,
    This is my first time on any sort of forum. I am a small business owner in the window covering industry. I have been doing this for 20 years but have just bought an existing store front with employees. I never had to worry about others but now I do. I am a very creative person and know my industry extremely well but get lost in the book keeping aspect of the business. Any advice on how to better manage that end of it would be great. I find myself spending a lot of time trying to figure out how to make the money work and wonder about what a good bookeeper could do to help.
    Tj

2. RoseAb

RoseAb
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Welcome to the forums. I really don't have any experience with bookkeeping like you describe so I can't help you. It would seem to me, though, that a bookkeeper only "keeps the books". That is, he/she will record everything properly for you. But I wouldn't expect the bookkeeper to help make sense of your finances.

3. Changed Creation

Changed Creation
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Hi TJA. Welcome to our Forum! I am not sure if you have been a business owner for 20 years because it sounds as if your experience in the industry is that of an employee and not that of an employer. If that is the case then you are in for a great expansion. I think having your own business is the best there is, but for many having a business becomes their greatest nightmare. There are many things that have to be focused on and understanding your financials is most certainly a big one, and having a good book-keeper may save your skin, but you really need to get the right business knowledge fast. One of the people who have influenced me the most and probably saved my skin is a South African Businessman and mentor Hannes Dreyer. Google his name and you should find his doubleyourincomebyworkingless site which is free to join. That should help you follow a wealth creators business strategy, instead of the default one, opportunity seeking strategy that most businesses follow and fail. Hope this helps!