Looking for online shoppers in India specifically!

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by cashflowprofit, Dec 2, 2012.

1. cashflowprofit

cashflowprofit
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am looking for online shoppers in India specifically. Just interested in getting your feedback as to your shopping experience online.

Right now the shopping model is just simply ecommerce sites with thousands of product. You either buy it or you dont.

The customer has very little or no say about anything in the process.

Surely there is a better way. Why not involve users/customers in a more meaningful way?

Just a random question, how many online shoppers would love to share their experience with others in a social network? Post comments, pictures/videos of the products
    they purchased to help other users?

2. psrb4u

psrb4u
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well there are hardly some people who prefers sharing there bought product. They either give feedback to their sellers or do nothing. People, I think, feels it a time wastage to promote others product like this. Even I personally either give feedback to my seller or do nothing.

3. cashflowprofit

cashflowprofit
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for your feedback.

I think to a certain degree you are very correct. But I am just wondering if this is specific to India? In the US and Europe, people are more proactive. Just check polyvore.com and thefancy.com.

These are social commerce sites that lets users comment, share, buy/sell items.

Instead of promoting others products, would people just share their feedback in a social network, make it more interactive.

Its well known that most people buy based on recommendations from friends/family/associates. So if you had a great or bad experience with a product/website, why not share it with the social network?

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Sorry I can't help you with the Indian part of your question. My personal online shopping has been mostly confined to the following;

Buying books and other items from Amazon.
    Purchasing music from iTunes.
    Purchasing audible books from Audible.com.
    My experience of all of the above has been very positive and I would have not hesitation in buying from or recommending any of the above three.

Purchasing a few items from eBay, mostly to help friends out by buying something they needed but couldn't find locally. I've only done this a few times over the last five or six years and the goods always arrived without any problems. However, I personally find eBay a little user-unfriendly and I don't particularly enjoy shopping there.

Purchasing hosting, domain names, advertising, design services and other webmaster products and services online. Again the experience has mostly been positive and generally I have received what I have paid for.

Did you have any specific ideas in mind?

5. cashflowprofit

cashflowprofit
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thank you for the feedback.

Actually I have been looking more deeply at the business models of these ecommerce websites and its an uphill task with big cash burning to advertise and keep the repeat customers coming back.
    Customers are immune to advertisement and banner ads are dead long ago. Its a failed model. I think businesses those who engage customers also help drive word of mouth publicity and generates more customers.

I think Zappos is a good example. Their customer service is so phenomenal that the customers helped drive the company to great lengths.

Online the shopping experience in India atleast is very weak, huge VC backed companies are entering India in the hope that the large consumer base will translate to huge business.
    What they did not realize is the way business is done in India. Cash on delivery is preferred mode of payment in India and this is a huge drain on resources, making business cash strapped.
    This does not take into account returns, cash collection agents, etc.

Big names are now finding out that its an expensive bet they are making.

Referrals from friends/family/associates and discounts (Indians love discounts) should be fastest and most cost effective way to engage customers, get the word of mouth out there and best of all its free.

These companies are trying the old model of affiliate marketing and hoping it will spread the word. Its a huge mistake.

I have concept to address this problem and just trying to get feedback from online shoppers in India as to what they would think about this.

• Like Like x 1
  6. pete.mcal

pete.mcal
    uix_expand uix_collapse

When you look at social activity on pinterest a lot of it revolves around people sharing products that they have either bought or want to buy. It is about aspirational goods and sharing positive experiences with other members/followers. This would be a good place to look at for some answers to your questions/ideas.

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I've had the good fortune to have spent a little time travelling in India, during which I observed that bargaining and haggling is a large part of the shopping experience there. Perhaps there is some way that you can integrate the haggling process into an e-commerce site?

8. cashflowprofit

cashflowprofit
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Integrating haggling into ecommerce sites would be expensive and not practical. It would require tremendous customer support.

The answer would be a social commerce site where 1. Merchants can upload products which they are selling at discounts. 2. Shoppers buy, comment and give feedback to others in community.

thefancy.com comes closest to this concept I feel. In a social setting users tend to be more free and expressive unlike on ecommerce sites.

I am trying to develop a portal similar to this but need a few users who have experience in online shopping who would be ready to Beta test and give feedback to develop the product.

Looking for a few people who can put their hands up for this offer. Would love to talk to them

• Like Like x 1