Looking for Help on how to approach and existing business about bringing me on board?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by MichaelJames79, Oct 10, 2012.

1. MichaelJames79

MichaelJames79
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I wrote a business plan for a delivery service that delivers to customers food and goods of business that do not curently deliver. A small business has beaten me to it. I want to know any suggestions on how I should approach the current owner about partnering

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

First of all welcome to Business Advice Forum MichaelJames79.

I'd suggest that you spend a little time thinking about ways that you could work with that other small business and the advantages that would be achieved from you both working together. Personally I wouldn't spend too much time on it, perhaps a few hours with pen and paper should be enough.

Once you have that done, you could simply call the other business owner and ask if you could meet for a chat. Tell him or her that you were considering a similar business and ask if they would be open to you both working together. Be ready to explain the advantages of you both working together and see where it goes from there. If they are open to a partnership, that's great. If they are not open to a partnership, you might set up on your own and beat them at their own game.