Looking for advice

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Maurb, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Maurb

Maurb
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi i'm a 50 year old housewife from Ireland, and I have an idea for a product that I believe would sell very well and that would be very useful for a lot of people of all ages. I do not have the money or experience to produce the product or market it properly. If anybody could give me some advice on my predicament it would be much appreciated or if somebody was interested in my idea would be willing to listen to all possibilities.

Thanking you all for your comments in advance.

2. AnushaJain

AnushaJain
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Maurb :) Welcome to Business Advice Forum :) You may give us the details of you product along with possibilities. The BAF members will definitely help you ..

3. marcus47

marcus47
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Maurb,
    Welcome to business advise forum. You need to explain what type of product you want to produce.
    you have an idea for a product who would sell very well in the coming time period. just brief little more about your point of views.

:)

4. Chris_Tax

Chris_Tax
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Start out small and learn, Then grow it. Most of the time needed is marketing your product and website. That takes a lot of time.
    You will learn more as you do it. Continue with questions as you start your business.

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

First of all I'd also like to welcome you to Business Advice Forum Maurb, I'm from Co Louth myself.

You could do worse than contacting your local County Enterprise Board (CEB) and having a chat with them about your business. You don't need to have a business plan or anything like that before you speak to them. They also run Start Your Own Business courses that you may find very useful. You can find your local CEB contact details here.

Is the product concerned one that would be mass produced or is it something that would be customised, i.e. where every product that you produce is a little different?

You may also find it helpful to start putting together a draft business plan for your idea, this will help you to clarify how your business would operate and what you need to do to make it successful. When starting on your business plan, don't worry about what anyone else would think about it. Just write it for yourself and don't spend too much time trying to perfect it, just get a quick first draft down on paper and if need be you can improve it later. You can find useful links to some templates in the "Business Plan Templates" section of our Useful Business Resources / Links thread.

Does that help?

Please post back with your thoughts and any further questions you have.

6. Maurb

Maurb
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for all your ideas they were very helpful :)

My product would be mass produced and customised as well. My worry is if I start small will someone else see my product and start making it in large quantities and my idea is no longer my idea. Its a sewing product that would be very cheap to produce and very quick to produce with the right equipment. If you can give me any more advice it would be much appreciated.

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

That danger is there with any small business and I can't tell you that it won't happen to you. However, if we looked at every possible negative possibility there is the risk that we would never do anything. Sometimes you have to just start moving forward and meet the obstacles as they come along. Even if someone did start competing with you on a large scale, you may still be able to find ways to add a personal touch to your products and customer service that would allow you to compete with large competitors.

Another option would be to contract out the manufacturing of your product, basically find an existing business that would produce it for you. Do you think that might work for you?

8. Maurb

Maurb
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi and thanks for your reply. :)

Sourcing it out would be an option but im not too sure. If I wanted to sell my idea do you know how I would go about it or who I might talk to. :)

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Selling your idea can be very difficult. Most businesses have lots of ideas of their own and they are generally not in a hurry to purchase other ideas. Do you think your idea might be eligible for patent / copyright protection?

Also, as I mentioned above, it could be a good idea to have a chat with your local County Enterprise Board.

10. amwarner

amwarner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Maurb,

My mama use to tell me that ideas are 1 in 1000. Meaning ideas are useless unless you turn that idea into a reality. Now you said that you do not have the money or experience to produce the product or market it properly. Are you trying to sell your idea or create it yourself?

I did a search in google for starting a business in Ireland and it gave me alot of resources worth checking out. But Fergal might have a much better suggestion than I could have since you both are from Ireland. But here is what I found anyway.

https://www.google.ca/?gws_rd=cr&ei=D4A0UoLYCdSxqwGnuICoCg#q=starting+a+business+in+ireland

And like Fergal said, there's always a danger to someone seeing your product and copying it and this and that. If it's something that you create, you could always put a patent on your product to protect it.