Looking advice on advertising ?

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by bretttina, Jun 16, 2011.

1. bretttina

bretttina
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello,

I will soon be looking for some advertising for my new forum and i was hoping you nice people could point me in the right direction,

My forum is for finding , playing and promoting contests and competitions, so i would be looking to target that sort of area/niche, so with that in mind do you know of any sites that would be suitable for gaining targeted traffic??

My budget for this is going to be around $500.00 but i would need to target as many sites as possible,

Thanks,

Brett.

2. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You might consider to buy some banner space from high traffic forum and you might consider to spend some of them in ppc advertising such as Adwords. By the way, if you are using ppc advertising, always consider the image ads since it is more attractive in your niche. At the same times, social media us one of the best place to be considered, feel free to visit BAF credit exchange section to get some promotion service

3. bretttina

bretttina
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks sigma, i have used Adwords in the past and found that to be quite expensive,

It is more along the lines of banner adds on forums and websites that i was looking for , i have noticed that most huge forums (such as here) offer an advertising programme and i was just trying to find out where were the best and most busiest to advertise on???

Thanks

Brett.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Hi Brett, I feel that your forum needs a little work before you start advertising it. You have quite a few forum sections with zero posts which gives the impression that your forum is not active. If it was my forum I'd work on filling up some of those sections, perhaps by doing post exchanges and maybe merging some of the forum sections together, before spending any money on promoting it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. bretttina

bretttina
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks Fergal,

The idea of asking where to advertise is so that when the forum does start to get used more by other users then i am prepared for the scenario straight away and i have got and done all my research prior to advertising the forum,

I am trying to get people interested in posting and as you know i have offered 20 posts on any forum for a simple 3 post exchange on mine , but yet why are they not taking this offer? there are lots of contests starting up everyday,

Should i try to find them and then PM the person involved with the said contest with a request to post it in my forum??

OR

Should i search and just lift contests from other sources??? but to me this would be defeating the object as to getting people involved, so how and where would you suggest that i get them to start to help with filling up the forum?? Any advice would be really appreciated please,

Thanks,

Brett.

6. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, adwords is quite expensive but the conversion rate is quite high. For the forum advertising, you can actually find them out on those webmaster forum marketplace. Many of them are selling their banner space in reasonable price such as $XX per month. If you need help on searching the forum, welcome to PM me your requirement and our budget, i can help to get a list of forum which are fulfill your requirement

• Like Like x 1
  7. Alexishost

Alexishost
    uix_expand uix_collapse

have you try to let your family and friends know about your forum? You can start from there?

8. bretttina

bretttina
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thank you Sigma,

I will be contacting you very soon to start compiling a list and a plan ready for when i can start to advertise.

9. Grumpy

Grumpy
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

A good idea for you to promote, if you have time, is to join some forums that you see are running contests, make a few helpful posts around the forum then PM one of the forum Administrators to ask them to promote their contest for free over at your forum. Most of them will appreciate your contribution to the offer and appreciate the offer to get some free promotion for their site and their contest and gladly sign up and post about their contest on your forum. :)

I don't think you need to spend any money yet... If anything, spend the money on some paid posters to help get your forum off the ground.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Brett, I feel that the fact that you have so many different forum sections is very off-putting to potential members, especially when many of those forum sections have zero posts. We are not perfect here on BAF and I don't mean to suggest that we are. However, by way of example you have 20 different forum sections showing on your forum home page, whereas BAF has 12.

If I was you I would merge the forums in your "About Us" category to create a single forum or at most two forums. You have 14 forums in your "Contests and Competitions" category, I would reduce that to 2 or 3.

You really should not have any forum section with zero posts and I feel very strongly that you need to merge some of your forum sections. To me this is your top priority and once you have done that things will begin to improve for you.

Just be conscious of the fact that many forums prohibit self promotion via PM and that breaching their rules could get your account banned.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Grumpy

Grumpy
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

Just to clarify things, with my suggestion I WAS NOT urging you to join forums and spam other members. Only join forums which are running contests themselves and PM the Administrator of the forum to let them know of your website. :)

However I do agree with Fergal on the fact that you have too many forums, that in itself can be very off-putting when you are browsing a forum for the first time.

• Like Like x 1
  12. bretttina

bretttina
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks guys,

I really do take on board all your comments and i have implemented what you have said into place and merged a lot of the forums to make it smaller and not so empty looking , i would be very greatfull if you could take a look and let me know if it looks any better??? or if i should move anything?

The idea of posting around in different other forums and then asking the contest owner is something i had thought about doing and i had already done that on 1 or 2 sites (just waiting to see if i get banned now :( )

Thanks

Brett.

13. Grumpy

Grumpy
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

Good luck with it Brett, I hope it goes well for you and to me, the forums look a lot better now. Best of luck with the forum and don't be afraid to ask anymore questions if you have any! :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You could also try signature link campaign. Hiring a good forum poster to spread your links and gain attention on forums.
    To be honest, it's the first time I saw such a forum. You've got an original idea. Hopefully, it goes well for you.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Brett, I've just visited the forum and it appears to be running very slowly just at the moment, is there an issue with your hosting?

16. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Fergal, i just visit the forum, the loading is very fast. Either the problem was solved or your connection slow

17. TheNova

TheNova
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

bretttina, I know you have quite a large budget for this but have you thought about signing up to some large promotion forums? I know from personal experience that helping around these forum and gaining a good reputation with the members is a good source of advertising. Using your signature to promote your link or banner once reputation has been gained and you've become an active member is a good way to drive traffic to your forum. I would also suggest making some great comments on blog article, but they have to be relative to the subject and not look like spam.

Although, using your budget, I would suggest buying link space or banner space on some high traffic forums or blogs. There are some high traffic forums in which I think would serve you best if you were to invest in them, but as Fergal said, I think you should sort out your forum first, make sure it's all finished before advertising. Many people/visitors want to see an established and good looking forum before registering on it.

Good luck with your forum.

• Like Like x 1
  18. bretttina

bretttina
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Cheers guys,

GekiDan : it may be an original idea but it is going slow, i have no idea as to why ?? i am going to get some people to advertise the forum in their sig's, so with that in mind are you offering ?? i know we have spoken about some advertising on your blog but do you fancy some sig advertising?

TheNova: Thank you for some really good pointers, would you happen to know of any such blogs that i could post on?

PS. It seems to be loading ok for me,

Brett

19. TheNova

TheNova
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Hi bretttina, yes I have a few for you. But if you agree, I'll send them to you via PM.

Regards.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Brett, the site is opening fine for me now. I do like the way you have merged the forum sections and it looks much better now.

• Like Like x 1