Logo Emphasis

Discussion in 'Website & Graphic Reviews' started by MickyT, Sep 25, 2010.

1. MickyT

MickyT
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This thread sort of branches off from my banner design thread as it has got me thinking, I was advised that it would be a good idea on our site teenforumz.com that emphasis be added on the "z" on our advertisement banners and to help people remember the "z".

I am now thinking we should add the emphasis onto our logo too by using a larger font for the "z" only.

Tell me what you think and if you think it looks right:

Current logo -

[​IMG]

Emphasis on Z logo -

[​IMG]

Which do you prefer? Any ideas on better ways to emphasise the Z? Thank you :)

2. BusyBee

BusyBee
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I like it. But something about it was bothering me - finally I figured it out: it is the shape of the Z. The fact that the top right point isn't a "point" but is slightly squared off makes it look like it could be the numeral "2" and not "Z" Could you manually make that part of the Z have a point? Otherwise it might look like Teen Forums 2.

Another nit-pick - but could you slighly extend the top swish of the Z to extend just a little over top of the letter M? (Not make the whole z larger, or thicker, but just extend that line?)

This is highly nitpicky - if you don't care to do these things you already have a lovely looking design. Very nice job.

3. MickyT

MickyT
    uix_expand uix_collapse

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ive tried doing those suggestions although I am not sure if the Z now looks odd, thanks for the suggestions by the way, what do you think?

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I agree that the logo looks great and I do believe that making the "Z" a little bigger has helped a little. Of the ones you posted, my favourite one is the one below;

[​IMG]

5. BusyBee

BusyBee
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Sorry for the delay - I was out most of yesterday.

I do think the "point" added to the Z helps it be clearly and quickly identified as a Z and not as a 2.

However, I think my second suggestion trying to extend the Z over the M was not as helpful. I think if you took the idea you did for Fergal, and simply made the pointy part of the Z there it would be the way to go.

It really is a nice design. I like the playful whimsy of it - but also that it seems like the right flavor for teens. I like the suggestion Fergal had for emphasizing the Z, because it was something at first glance that I glossed over in reading the name. With the larger Z, I see it better. (Just need that pointy part)

6. MickyT

MickyT
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Okay then I will take the one Fergal pointed out and redo the Z the same size as that but with the point to stop the 2 look.Many thanks to both of you, this has really helped me out :)

7. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

BusyBee and Fergal have already given some excellent advice, so not too much to add.

I agree with BB about giving the 'point' to the "Z" might prove helpful, but even without it the logo looks great and the enlarged "Z" will certainly help make it more memorable.

Like BB, I feel it's super pedantic to pull up any 'negatives', but I'll mention the one I have just so you're aware of it and can make your own decision on it. The "Z" at the moment looks a small bit out of touch with the other letters. It looks very 'straight' (or angular) while all of the other letters have a small curve (even the N, T and F have a very slight 'curve' to their lines).

(I'm not sure if I've explained that well. For an illustration of it, imagine rotating the 'N' 90 degrees clockwise and into the position of the 'Z'. It has a very slight curve to what would be the central line and the top of the 'Z'.)

It's really not a big deal and something I very much wouldn't dwell on. It might even help that the 'Z' is a little 'different', as it highlights it even more.

8. VVhite_Angel

VVhite_Angel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Agree with Fergal, the 2 letters before show an "upper trend" so the Z must keep this.

And this show a good trend, good impression for the logo :)

9. 50Cent

50Cent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It looks much more better when the Z is emphasize more.

10. TiaWood

TiaWood
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think the "Z" looks fine but if you make the first "T" the same size, style it would flow better.

11. rakebackblogger

rakebackblogger
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Im no graphics major but I know what I like and while I dont dislike any of the ones above I agree with Fergal that this one is the best

12. 50dolars

50dolars
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

I like this better. Because it demonstrates the mischievous teen