LOCAL Internet Marketing - New Name and Features for Google Local Business Center

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by Catalyst eMarketing, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Catalyst eMarketing

Catalyst eMarketing
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you are interested in LOCAL SEO, here's some important new info that just hit the wires.

The Google Local Business Center is now called Google Places, as the company aims to rebrand the product around the Place Pages it introduced last fall.

There are new features and there is a new help center and support forum dedicated to Google Places for the many businesses that are having nightmares getting their listings changed, verified or optimized.

Here's all the info from the Google blog: http://googleblog.blogspot.com/

They didn't list the link to the new help forum, so I need to go find it. I just saw it somewhere.

If you've ever tried to get help with your LBC then you know that support is virtually not available from Google on this product. By starting the new forum and archiving all the old complaints, it give "Places" a cleaner looking new home for all the new businesses that will flock here trying to figure out how to set up their Place page.

I'll be back after I find where I saw the link to the new support forum.

What do you think of all the new changes and features???

#1 Catalyst eMarketing, Apr 20, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for sharing that with us Catalyst eMarketing, it looks like a great opportunity for businesses to promote themselves locally. Do you know if it can be used to promote websites, that are not locally based? For example could I use it to promote Business Advice Forum in New York?

3. Catalyst eMarketing

Catalyst eMarketing
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well you can - any business can, but it won't show on the Google serps for any searches probably. Only certain categories that tend to have local searches show up - like realtors, restaurants, Drs., painters, etc.

Certain cats don't show up at all that should IMO, like web designers and Internet marketing. G just excludes them, maybe due to abuse by SEOs trying to over-optimize or something, not sure.

#3 Catalyst eMarketing, Apr 22, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
  4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for that Linda. Sounds like local Internet marketing is not the way to go for a site like Business Advice Forum.