Listen to Seinfeld's tip to form new habits

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by J.C. Avila, Jun 22, 2014.

1. J.C. Avila

J.C. Avila
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As you probably know Jerry Seinfeld is an actor and comedian best known for his starring role in the hit television sitcom Seinfeld.[1] But he is also one of the richest actors in Hollywood and he got himself a very useful technique that helped him write all of the great jokes that he makes and also all of the episodes of Seinfeld.

Some time ago I was, like I recurrently do, browsing LifeHacker, and I came across this article about a young comic who was open mic nights on the same club where Jerry Seinfeld was doing a stand up comedy show, that night he (the young comic) asked Jerry for a little piece of advice regarding his career as a comedian, So, long story short, Jerry told him that to be a beter comedian he just had to write jokes every day and to make sure that he sticked with the habit, he needed to hang on a prominent wall a big wall calendar with a whole year in it and get a big red marker. What he has to do was to cross with a big “X” everyday that he writes new jokes, after a few days he was going to have a chain of “x´s” so the idea was to not break the chain. And after a few weeks when he already had a big chain, and was feeling great about it, his only next job was to? You´re right!, “Don´t break the chain”.

So you must be thinking, “Ok J.C. this is an amusing story, but how the heck do I apply it in my own life?”. And that is what i´m about to tell you.

Choose your habit
    Ok,so, this technique is the one that Seinfeld uses to commit to write every single day, but maybe you just want to do something else, like flossing or drinking 8 glass of water everyday, or maybe you want to jog for 20 minutes or do 10 pushups everyday. Whatever it is that you want to start putting action to, you can do it with this very same framework. I´ve been using this technique for doing pushups everyday for the last week now (i´m starting too!) and i feel great every time I mark that big red “X” on my calendar, and as it is in my kitchen´s wall all of my family get to see it so i don´t want to break the chain and be embarrassed in front of my children for not doing what I said i was going to do.

This frame work can be used to form 3 to 4 habits at the same time, don´t push it!, remember, you need to start with little steps until you get accustomed to these new habits. And also remember that the very most important thing to form your new habits is “start“.

Action step:
    It´s now the time were you go and print, buy, get or whatever your new calendar and big red marker, and start doing that thing that you have been putting off for so long. Please feel free to share what do you thing of this technique? What is it that habit that you have struggled to include in your life?

-
    this post was previously published at gotintention.com

#1 J.C. Avila, Jun 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  2. davidblack

davidblack
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Very good recommendations on getting ours habits in line specially drinking 8 glass of water a day. I will try to adopt 2 habits per day as I have busy schedule in my life.