Linux Operating System (OS)

Discussion in 'Computer Questions, Issues & Security' started by acharya25, Jul 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acharya25

acharya25
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Linux is one of popular version of UNIX operating System. It is open source as its source code is freely available. It is free to use. Linux was designed considering UNIX compatibility.

Basic Features
    Following are some of the important features of Linux Operating System.

Portable - Portability means softwares can works on different types of hardwares in same way.Linux kernel and application programs supports their installation on any kind of hardware platform.

Open Source - Linux source code is freely available and it is community based development project. Multiple teams works in collaboration to enhance the capability of Linux operating system and it is continuously evolving.

Multi-User - Linux is a multiuser system means multiple users can access system resources like memory/ ram/ application programs at same time.

Multiprogramming - Linux is a multiprogramming system means multiple applications can run at same time.

Hierarchical File System - Linux provides a standard file structure in which system files/ user files are arranged.

Security - Linux provides user security using authentication features like password protection/ controlled access to specific files/ encryption of data.

2. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Linux is surely a powerful OS with lots of features. But I haven't installed it as single OS for my PC. I use Backtrack so it's both XP and Linux on same window.

3. carloborja

carloborja
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Anyone here use Linux as their main OS?

4. Katerina

Katerina
    uix_expand uix_collapse

We are, but not as the main one. Sometimes there are things that can be done only on Linux.

5. carloborja

carloborja
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I got that. I understand you are building software and most people I know who are doing that know the power of Linux. :)

6. kevinkrieger

kevinkrieger
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Linux can do tasks like publishing, image editing using only free and open source applications.

7. buysell-browse

buysell-browse
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, we do it in my company. Currently running a dual boot install of two Linux flavors on my laptop: Debian and CentOS.

8. Dexterbell

Dexterbell
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I never used Linux. I only use windows

9. GeekGhost

GeekGhost
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My workstation at the office runs Ubuntu (*nix based).

I still use Windows on my laptop however.

10. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm used to puppy linux since then and even today that my desktop can handle hardware monster linux derivative I still sole use puppy linux in my desktop.

11. Timsmith

Timsmith
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Linux is an open source,anybody can use it without any charges it has many facilities networking,internet compatible and so on.

12. marriott

marriott
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I never use LINUX and prefer WINDOWS because its easy to use ..........

13. bjdea2

bjdea2
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In our organisation we ONLY use Linux. Everything is linux, either Centos or Ubuntu. Why? Because we love it and its OPEN SOURCE.

Linux is 100% free and if you know your way around it, like I do, its much better than using Windows or Apple. All the software is easily accessible, can be easily modified, the only problem is that its not as user friendly (for novices), so you pretty much have to know how to fix things and deal with config settings etc to get everything to work. There's a lot of text editing of files in Linux, which I personally prefer. I hate setting things up via windows wizards and through a window dialog based interface. I much prefer setting up a text config file and starting up the service manually myself.

We use the OpenVZ virtualization platform, which is pretty much Centos with virtualization added. Its EXTREMELY reliable. If you want a heavily loaded server running for years with no reboot required then you want to go with centos. Of course the latest releases will be more bug prone, but the older releases are rock solid.

I also dislike Apple with a passion.....why? Because Apple is built on Linux, basically the current Apple Operating Systems are older Linux code that's been customized and "locked" by Apple. Linux is open source, and free. Apple is closed source and EXPENSIVE. Apple is the exact opposite to what Linux represents. Apple is an Empire trying to take over the world by force, Apple seeks to dominate and charge people big dollars for anything and everything possible. Apple wants its users to be dumber and simply pay for everything to be done for them by Apple (and controlled by Apple). Linux is trying to empower everyone, allow people to do things themselves without needing to pay for it. Linux tries to give people access to everything and control of everything. Its simply a matter of learning. Apple does not want you to learn or be empowered, Apple wants you to trust them and pay them to do everything.

Microsoft is a little less ruthless than Apple and at least is open to the idea of open source.

As far as I'm concerned Steven Jobs was a revenge driven psychopath, sad but true. He always carried around a huge chip on his shoulder after Microsoft crushed him initially. Motivated by revenge he then became more ruthless and created a new Apple which was designed to take over the world through glitz and entrapment. Apple is basically just a beautiful shell - its lovely to look - but once you're sucked in you'll never be able to put your wallet down again. Apple has designed everything from the ground up to extract as much money from consumers as possible. Locking you into their system and forcing you to rely on their experts. I'm certain Apple will die a slow death over the coming years because people are waking up to its greedy strategy.

14. spyindiapreet

spyindiapreet
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I never used Linux. I only use windows.

15. MBA Trainer

MBA Trainer
    uix_expand uix_collapse

We are habitual of Windows that is why we prefer it and always use it.

16. kenzo

kenzo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I used linux when i was doing some more advanced coding and backend development. Currently, Windows is enough for me and I can play some games in the evening ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.