Link Building Tips

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Jerlene, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Jerlene

Jerlene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I want to help you guys rank higher in the search engines and spread the word of your websites to a wider audience.

You need to get indexed as soon as possible. If your website isn't indexed i nthe search engines, no one can find it within any results. To do this quickly, use backlinkgenerator.net and pingomatic.com.

Do some article submissions as well to build links, reputation and exposure. Write unique articles and submit them to press release sites, article directories, etc. Also build some Squidoo lenses and Hubpages. They are all free and will help you in the long run.

• Like Like x 1
  2. James Greg

James Greg
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That's true. This will surely help in ranking. Thanks for your tips, they're helpful.

3. Jerlene

Jerlene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You're welcome. Hopefully some people put them to good use and dominate.:)

4. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Pinging search engines to make them aware of new content can help speed up the speed of discovery and therefore in the crawling and indexing speed, but if a site isn't being indexed then pinging won't do anything to aid there. If that's the case, the site needs to increase its authority and work on gaining more prominence and trust in the eyes of the search engines. Most blogging platforms now allow for automatic pinging on the release of new content, so in most cases there's no need for the use of external tools to provide this feature.

Article directories, squidoo lenses and hubpages? If a site hasn't done some genuine link building in advance (press releases, guest blogging on authoritative sites, business partners, community outreach, local government and commerce bodies, etc.) this has the potential to send all the wrong signals and while it might not hurt a site, it has the potential to. It's also a questionable investment in time, where seeking to gain genuine high quality links would provide a far greater (and far more sustainable) return. Avoid focusing on the spammy nonsense, it just doesn't work long term (and will continue to be hit harder and harder in the future).

• Like Like x 2
  5. Jerlene

Jerlene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've owned well over a hundred sites in my time and have run them practically all the same. Never doing a press release, guest blogging on authoritative sites, business partners, community outreach(at least offline), local government and commerce bodies, etc. has not hurt my sites in any way, shape or form. But article directories, Squidoo lenses and Hub Pages have helped them all, with revenue as well as traffic.

• Like Like x 1
  6. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What's the use of these sites?

7. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Congratulations. You've been very lucky. Despite the fact that you might have gotten away with tactics that are in breach of the guidelines, that doesn't mean you should encourage others to use tactics that put their sites at risk. If you are going to suggest it, as you have, at least give the caveats and warnings to the site owners that they're potentially putting their sites reputation and place in the index at risk. If you're consiously choosing to use spam tactics, fair enough, but others might not be aware of the risks associated with it and suggesting it to them could do untold damage to their businesses or sites.

Squidoo lenses and Hubpages are very commonly spammed pages that a user can curate, so standard Web 2.0 properties that you don't 'own' but you do have control of the content on a specific page. It's basically the same idea as setting up a blog on wordpress.com that you can then control the content on.

The general use is to set up a lens on a topic you hope to rank for (gaining topical relevancy), sticking links there to your monetised site (potentially also linking to other authoritative sites to help cover your tracks a little) with strong anchor text and then using all sorts of black hat and spam tactics (spammy blog comments, profile link spam, etc.) to (try and) build up the authority of the lens or other properties so that it passes more authority back to the main site. You'll most often see them as part of spammy link wheel packages being sold on as "totally safe" as the spammy links aren't pointing directly to your main site.

The fact is that the search engines are cracking down on these spammy tactics more and more all the time. I'm surprised to hear Jerlene say they've never had a site penalised for it, it's getting scarily common for sites to get burnt where the link profile is questionable like this, though even in cases where it doesn't lead to deindexing/banning it can still be a complete waste of time where the links are devalued and carry no weight. The fact is that while it may give a short term boost and might not lead to a penalty today, it isn't sustainable and means you're constantly looking over your shoulder for when it does hurt you. Any link tactic which can be manipulated in such a way, be it blog comments, forum comment spam, profile linking, etc. all need to be used very much in moderation to ensure they don't have a significant negative impact on a link profile.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Jerlene

Jerlene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What guidelines?

9. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The search engine guidelines. The terms and conditions you're required to abide by if you wish to remain in their index. The guidelines that the tactics outlined here are in breach of and, despite the fact that you don't appear to have been punished (yet!), the reason you shouldn't be giving this 'advice' to other site owners who might mistakenly follow it without being aware of the potential repercussions of doing so. If a site owner knowingly uses questionable tactics to try and improve their position, fair enough, they're aware of the risks and are willing to take them. If you're providing (or trying to provide) advice to people, you need to ensure you're aware of the potential implications, make them aware of the implications and ensure you're giving good advice.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Jerlene

Jerlene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Read what I said again. I am not telling people to spam on their lenses or pages, nor am I telling them to build any type of link farm. Or am I? Please outline where I said that. As far as I know all I said was to build a Squidoo Lens and/or Hub Page.
    They can naturally build content on those pages and naturally promote them, while having a link to their self-hosted sites in the sidebar or a similar placement.
    It's not against the TOS of Squidoo and Hub Pages and Google allows it as well. It's called link building.

• Like Like x 1
  11. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If it really is natural content and genuine natural promotion (calling any type of promotion natural when you're already setting up the page purely for the intention of manipulating search results, itself a breach of the guidelines, is an oxymoron at best), they'd gain far more success from doing this promotion directly on their own main site. They would be adding genuinely valuable content and supporting the overall domain authority of the site. The lens will only be passing a fraction of the authority from the promotional work back to the main site, so it's counter productive.

Lenses and Hubpages are only really of value (in a black hat sense - a short term value which is unsustainable and with large risks), I'm generalising slightly as there will be the odd occasion when it's an exception and they're perfectly logical (but not to the extent that you could suggest it as a 'strategy' to all site owners, in that context you're suggesting doorway pages which is a clear breach of the Webmaster Guidelines) when they're being used in questionable ways. Either in the creation of a large number (in a way as to manipulate search results with inflated PR due to the inherent value each individual page has and functioning as a doorway page, which is against Google's WG) or in the unethical promotion of those pages (using the spammy techniques mentioned above, again a breach of the WG).

Ignoring the significant risk attached to it, it's also an ineffective use of a site owners time. If they were to focus on promoting their main site in sustainable and valuable ways, gaining genuine high quality links, it would provide substantially higher returns for a similar investment in time.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Jerlene

Jerlene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You keep saying red when I tell you to say blue. It's ridiculous.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Actually, he keeps saying white when you're saying black. Paul has given some very good advice to others in other posts in this forum, in addition to this one, and people wanting to raise their rankings in the search engines would do well to follow it.
    I do think it's rather revealing that when Paul mentioned guidelines your response was "What guidelines?" Obviously, you would much rather use techniques that get you where you want to go, rather than following the established rules the way you should.

14. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Firstly, I'd suggest you never attempt to tell me what to say. Trust me, it won't end well ;)

Secondly, I'm disagreeing with you because I disagree with what you said in this thread. I'm not intentionally disagreeing with you for the fun of it or on any personal level. I see too many site owners get hurt from following advice on blogs and forums that ends up with sites being penalised to let it happen on a forum where I'm an active contributor. Someone telling me "No, no, it's good. It worked on my site" doesn't make it a good strategy. I've outlined the reasons it's a bad idea, I've explained the risks associated with it, I've explained the potential implications of doing it, I've explained how it's a breach of the search engine guidelines and why owners who want sustainable results shouldn't undertake it.

If you wish to disagree and continue with these tactics for your own sites, you're more than entitled too and I'll happily respect your choice. However I won't let it be suggested to other site owners without telling them my view of it, which is really just sharing the search engines view of it and then applying my own opinion on it that when a balanced risk/reward profile is looked at that it simply doesn't make sense. If any other site owner wishes to ignore my comments and undertake this 'strategy', they're also welcome to. As long as they do so with an informed knowledge of the situation and that it is in breach of the guidelines, that's a call that every site owner has to make for themselves.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Jerlene

Jerlene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Firstly, there you go again saying red. Secondly, quote where I said to build these pages solely for the purpose of manipulating search engines. Third, you're just seeing what you want to see.

16. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is an open discussion forum. It's here to provide help and support to businesses through discussion. As such, it encourages people to have their say. I will say anything I like and as long as it is within the rules of the forum it will be (as it should be) encouraged. If people don't want discussion of their posts, why post on a forum to begin with?

I might suggest also adhering to basic forum etiquette, "attack the post not the poster". If you have an issue with a comment I make, address the comment. If I'm technically incorrect in anything I've said I would be delighted to learn something new and change my opinion. Ignoring the technical side of things, not addressing points made and simply attacking me or my attempts to give a differing opinion to your own does little to benefit the discussion.

The posts suggested site owners to create these pages, linking back to their own site, in order to dominate. They never specifically said solely for the purpose of manipulating search engines, possibly as that's not how you view this activity. However, how you view it is inconsequential. That IS how the search engines view it, the only view that is relevant here.

I converted what you did say, creating low value links on frequently manipulated domains, into the specific language used by the search engines in relation to these activities.

What? Why would I want to see anything here?

All I'm doing is trying to stop webmasters making a bad call and carrying out a questionable activity. I've already gone to great lengths in trying to explain the impacts of building numerous doorway/funnel pages with manipulative links to pass traffic and/or rankings (i.e. breaching the search engine guidelines). If that's not why they're building these pages, then why are they being built?

The engineers working with these search engines aren't stupid. One look at a link profile consisting almost entirely of hubpages, lenses and article directories and they will tank that site, if it hasn't already triggered the algorithmic filters. I'm not sure if you've ever spoken to a search quality analyst, but they're pretty intelligent people. If I can look at a link profile and tell genuine from manipulated, safe to say they can too.

Yes, they can have positive ranking benefits. Yes, your site can do fine even in the absence of high quality or authoritative links to supplement the negative signals this will send regarding your link profile (though thankfully getting less and less common with recent algorithm updates). However there's no way this is a genuine, organic method to focus on for a business to gain authority in the eyes of search engines.

17. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for the good points Paul. I can see you give very detailed answers to Jerlene's questions, and to my recent post.
    And to be honest, I nearly created a "lens" when I'm just starting as suggested by some "experts" at DP. But when I checked a few lenses, I can't believe there are a wide number of spammed links and such.

18. Jerlene

Jerlene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Nope. If done right it's just regular link building. You put relevant one-way links on a site and Google counts it toward your backlinks. I in no way said to put a technology link on a home and garden lens.

19. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've a feeling I'm wasting my time here, I've addressed this numerous times already. Either you're doing it completely ethically, in which case you'd have far more success doing it on your own domain and gaining the additional quality relevant content and additional positive domain level metrics the promotion of this content will provide; or you're doing it in an attempt to manipulate the search engine rankings and for the page to act as a doorway page or traffic funnel. Either it's an ineffective technique and a bad investment of time and resources or it's a breach of the guidelines with potentially far more serious consequences (or in the majority of cases it's both). In either case, it's not good advice to follow.

20. Jerlene

Jerlene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've felt like I was wasting my time this entire thread. I've said on multiple occasions that this would be done ethically. Was it written in invisible ink?