Link building is dead

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by datoneer, Nov 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. datoneer

datoneer
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello to all BAF members,

i would like to say few things about link building here and big changes for my forum IMSpot.The first couple of months were really good (didn't started any link building yet),I had some traffic, rankings etc. Then I started to pay some firms to do link building for my webmaster forum since I didn't have much time for it (p.s. ImSpot is 3+ years old), and I realized that was a big mistake since all the links were of very low quality. So as the time was passing by my forum started to lose all traffic and all rankings dropped I believe that my forum was even banned because of too many spammy links. What I decided to do then is to find all these bad links and add them to Google's disavow tool. And I did that, even removing all the links from forums because I don't believe they are good nowadays. Then I noticed a drop in the number of links in Google webmaster tools, every day. I stopped working on link building, and since then I can only see an improvement in impressions, queries, clicks and others. What I think is that you don't have to do a link building anymore in order to get traffic and have your site to be popular, high quality content is the only one that matters. Create high quality content, no matter is it forum or a website, and that is what Google wants from our websites!

What do you guys think about this?

#1 datoneer, Nov 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2014
  2. ellisthomas86

ellisthomas86
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Link building cannot be dead at any point of time. More or less the essence is there and it keeps importance in every segment. Yes but the thing is that we have to go through a natural process and see that all the links what ever we are building must meet the desired criteria of being natural. One another way the promotional job is also considered as a kind of link building only.

• Like Like x 1
  3. prestonp

prestonp
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Link Building is not dead.

When we talk about link building, most people would take it as submitting your link on another. This think was always wrong, even when there were no Google algo updates. Why? Because link building was never about submitting link. Rather, it was about creating a content that is original, engaging, informative and share-able, so that people would share it with others. Link building, or as I prefer it, "Link Earning" is something every website owner should be focusing on. Make content for readers, so they will share it with other readers and Google will automatically improve your search ranking. This is how the process goes. This is same as producing a quality product for your target market that fulfill their needs better than the competitors so that your consumers would refer your product to others.

However, apart from creating such quality content, creating your online presence; such as profiles on Google MyBusiness, Facebook, Twitter, Yelp and other such websites can be said as an act of link building. I prefer it calling "Creating Online Presence". But, if you are creating profiles for the purpose creating link only, then you are underestimating the potential of these sites. These websites are channel through which you can connect with your audience, so you will have to do a lot more than just submitting a link. It is same as opening a distribution centers in various cities to distribute your product easily to your consumers so they can get it when they need it.

SEO is a marketing technique, but sadly most SEOs don't consider it as one.

• Like Like x 2
  4. datoneer

datoneer
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That's what i'm trying to say, create high quality content and readers will share this with others - this is what we can call natural and most effective link building. I was trying to say that you can't take link building as just creating your link on another sites, submitting to directories etc. Point is the more shared your content the better ranking you'll have.

5. prestonp

prestonp
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Exactly, but it is not all about just creating high quality content that readers will share. I wrote in my above post that we should also focus on developing online presence on sites like Google My business and Facebook. I also wrote why it is important. So don't just focus on creating high quality content, focus on developing and enhancing online presence.

Today most content you find on seo and marketing sites would tell you same thing over and over again "Create high quality content", but very few would tell you that this is not everything in marketing or SEO. Even big brands are interacting with their consumers on social sites, they have profiles on big sites. They are not just creating high quality content, but they also have a huge online presence so they can easily connect with their customers. We should be doing same thing as well.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Link acquisition has evolved. It's not necessarily dead. You just need to review your link building strategy and see what exactly works for your site. There is no 100% guarantee that your disavow will be reviewed by Google anytime sooner though that's a good idea. However, to be more productive you need to continue acquiring links from related sites or sites that are authoritative, gets along with Google guidelines and all the positive link building stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  7. datoneer

datoneer
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Agreed! Well said

• Like Like x 1
  8. midnightblur

midnightblur
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It's not deady. If that day will come, it should be so long. Matt Cutt told that Google tried the idea of removing backlinks from algorithm and the result is too horrible. So, keep creating backlinks :D

9. Hirenpatel

Hirenpatel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If Link building means making links from any website to get rank. Then I say yes link building is dead. But if you think it as link earning then it will surely reward you.

10. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I guess the never ending question would be: How does Google classify a quality content? There are metrics that they use. They don't necessarily read the contents per page - but they rely on how users interact, use, refer to, etc the page. They are relying on user experience and information as they visit the web pages.

11. sulbha

sulbha
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

Link building is not dead. But we may say traditional link building is dead. traditional link building mean acquiring as many links as possible as quickly as possible in link directories and article directories, or spam links this technique is no longer effective. Link building is no longer about finding the easiest way to obtain links. Instead of the quantity of links, the quality of links and how they will benefit the business is now the focus.

12. LeroySimpson

LeroySimpson
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes you are right the link building can not be dead until any other ranking algorithm replaces that replaces. Counting links is a basic algorithm of Google ranking and basic things can't be replaced easily.

13. Patson

Patson
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Link building is not dead, it just modified from old to the new one. if you are doing the same link building without any changes then it is dead otherwise it will never go die. You just have to change your methods, follow all the google algorithms with good content.

14. abhi_garg

abhi_garg
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm not a tekkiie, but this guide to link building is very easy reading, in terms I can understand. Sage Lewis sprinkles it with personal anecdotes and historical asides that pull you in to his advice on strengthening your website.

15. CoolHandCol

CoolHandCol
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Link building has changed dramatically. It is now very difficult - and Google is clever enough to spot if it's unnatural. Stick to relevant, authorative links and do it slowly

16. andrewsteavnes

andrewsteavnes
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Link building never die.. If you are doing high pr, high PA/DA websites link building then it will definitely help you to get ranking in google.

17. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

This thread is now closed. If you have something new to add, PM me and I'll re-open it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.