Light or Dark themes?

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by Zeus, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Zeus

Zeus
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Which shade would you prefer when viewing a website? Light or Dark themes?

I've seen many websites with Light themes, and this truly brings out the potential in the forum with a clean feeling and easy-to-read text/font.

Darker themes however turn people off, it's usually harder to focus and it loses interest from viewers fast with my experiences.

2. sudhakar1

sudhakar1
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi
    I use a dark theme as my primary theme. Reason is the darker background makes the images snap off the page. When the same image is viewed on a white or light background it's hard on the eyes. The lighter area around the image makes the pupil in your eye close and you lose the ability to see small details. The darker area around the image allows your pupil to open some and see smaller details. But like Max I do have a good collection of themes to suit different tastes.

3. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, I think it's their personal choice to choose Dark or light themes. However, People do use Dark themes in Gaming site or portal. I personally think that Light themes make the site look simpler and professional.

4. Vit1m

Vit1m
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I find white text on a black background easier to read.

5. AJKpeter

AJKpeter
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Light theme is more preferable for long term reading of rich content websites

6. Marry_11

Marry_11
    uix_expand uix_collapse

For ease in understanding and appealing websites, the webpages graphics and design always be with light theme and simplicity. As it also depends on subject of website, if it is related with game or website for the children age people, then dark theme is preferable else not, to make them visiting the side and can't loose interest on it.

7. andrewc

andrewc
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Light background and dark text is the way to go for most websites. It really depends on what kind of site your building.

I agree with devil, a darker platform is usually more suitable for gaming websites.

8. kevinkrieger

kevinkrieger
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I prefer lighter versions as graphics stand our better in light design themes.

9. nilam

nilam
    uix_expand uix_collapse

10. bmwillsmith

bmwillsmith
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It depends on the client choice, their company logo. Mainly it depends on the type of theme we develop, if client choice is dark then we can bring best look and feel with dark shades something like good gradients and simple background images. Or Sometimes we will consider light themes based on their logo colors.

11. marriott

marriott
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think light themes are better than dark themes as light themes doesn't had any effect on eyes.