Life Coaching Tip on How to Stay Motivated

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by matthewferry, Oct 29, 2009.

1. matthewferry

matthewferry
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There are times when you are up and times when you are down. As a life coach, so often my clients try to push through the times that they are down. They try to motivate themselves. Unfortunately this extends the period of time that they feel unmotivated. When you resist where you are, you amplify it and make it worse.

They key is to relax into it and ride the waves of energy and they rise and fall. There will be times when you are hot and times when you are not. Times of great creativity and energy and times of no inspiration and you feel totally blah.

If you will honor the times of blah and just rest, inspiration will come back sooner. If you panic and try to GET MOTIVATED, then you will just get more frustrated.

What’s the moral of the story? Chill out, relax and rest when the body is going in that direction. Don’t worry. The waves of energy will return and you will soon be riding high again.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

That's very interesting Matthew. Just like you say, I sometimes experience times when I feel tired and demotivated. This can happen even when I've had a good night's sleep and I can't pin point a reason for it. I always try to fight it and get on with my work.

One thing I do is use a count down timer and try to work really well for even say 10 minutes. If I don't work well for 10 minutes I'll set it for 8 minutes next time and try that. When I start working well and focusing I increase the count down time by 2 mins. This approach works well for me quite a lot of the time, but sometimes it doesn't. Next time it doesn't work I'll take your advice and stop trying to slog through it. I'll relax, do something I enjoy and wait for inspiration to return.

Thanks for that Matthew, I believe your post may have helped me to not only be more efficient at my work, but to enjoy it more as well.

3. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for the very wonderful post.
    As for me, I get motivated to work when I have something I really want o buy in the future. Take for instance, a PSP. I'm really getting motivated to work so hard so I could buy one for Christmas.

Having a goal like this can really make one keep motivated to earn.

4. OneLife

OneLife
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Great thread for business people... life has its ups and downs whatever level of success you are at. One of the things that I do is plug into You Tube and find a motivational story, someone who has overcome the odds. The story of the 'Team Hoyt' ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDnrLv6z-mM )is one I watch over and over again (check it out, it is awesome)... When I watch something like this, whatever problem I am focusing on seems to dissapear into something that just does not matter.

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

What a fantastic story OneLife, it would bring tears to your eyes. "Yes you can"!

I also find Christopher Nolan very inspiring.

6. magician661

magician661
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Ways to Stay Motivated

1. Connect with your classmates. Sure, ¨virtual people¨ may be hard to connect with, but making an effort to actually get to know your classmates can be rewarding. If you find students from your area, consider a physical study group at a restraint or bookstore. If not, try to create an online support group of peers. They’ll appreciate having someone to keep them on track in their work and you’ll reap the benefits of being accountable as well.

2. Discuss what you learn. Find a friend or relative who has similar interests or who would enjoy hearing about your studies and let them know what’s going on in your classes. You’ll understand the material better when you have a chance to explain it out loud and will be motivated to stay on task in order to keep up with the conversation.

3. Chart your progress. Don’t rely on campus counsellors; design your own map of completed classes and post it somewhere that is visible daily. There’s a certain satisfaction that comes with watching your goals be accomplished. When times get hard, you can always turn to your chart and see how far you’ve come.

4. Reward yourself. You get rewarded for good credit and safe driving, why shouldn’t you reward yourself for doing well in your coursework. Whether it be a night on the town, a new dress, or even a new car, setting up a reward system just may be the extra push you need to succeed. If you stick by your system, you may find yourself pleasantly surprised.

5. Take time for fun. If you’re spending all your time working, studying, and watching after the kids, you’ll likely suffer in all areas. Everyone needs some down time to re-group. So, set aside a little time every week for a favorite activity. You’ll be more productive when you return to your work.

7. shubh

shubh
    uix_expand uix_collapse

A motivated mind is the product of discipline whether the discipline is innate or acquired through experience or the study necessary for personal growth and development. Personal Development will undoubtedly lead one to the conclusion that to be successful one needs to look at how the Mind and Body fit into the equation. The condition of our physical body is the result of what we feed into our mind. For if we are to have a motivated mind we must discipline ourselves to control what we put into our bodies.

8. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is the best thing I think of to get motivated. My current motivation is to have a PSP this Christmas as a gift for myself. :D

9. unleashed

unleashed
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hmm... nice points pointed out. Would definitely keep them in mind when I face bad times.

10. johndale

johndale
    uix_expand uix_collapse

One of my best motivation is my family. They are the ones who really keeps me going and makes my life worth-living.

11. Jamey

Jamey
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,

The true advantage of coaching though is the ability to help you see who you really are. The ability to unleash the real you. The ability to help you see the self-imposed restrictions you place on your life. The mirror that helps you see for the first time just how much you are self-monitoring.

12. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum Jamey. The importance of knowing yourself cannot be overestimated and knowing yourself is a fundamental factor in achieving success. Have you used coaching services yourself?

13. Andrew Clark

Andrew Clark
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am starting my career as an real state agent and i am reading some articles about success coach which I believe is one of the most important factor for my job. I have faced so many obstacles that somehow made me think to back out. But forums like this gives me some motivations.

14. Clint Cora

Clint Cora
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I also regard the low times as learning experiences. No matter how bad or awful such an experience was, I think there is always an important lesson to be learned there and I apply such a lesson to the future. That's how I cope with the low times.

15. marksmith

marksmith
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

When people begin to investigate career change, often they don't want a new career at all. They love their career -- but they also want time for creating a life outside work. As a lifetime leisure-seeker,

1. Decide where leisure ranks on your list of values. Are you working to pay for something that you don't value very much?

2. Seize moments during the day, evening, lunchtime and weekend. Time management guru Alan Lakein calls this the "Swiss cheese method:" using the holes. Think "fun" in fifteen-minute segments.

3. Buy leisure time. Hiring a teenager to mow your lawn may give you an hour or more, depending on the size of your property. Get even more creative. For a price, your pet-sitter might be persuaded to take Fluffy to the vet and Fido to the groomer.

4. Stop doing things that nobody will miss.

Thanks