Let's Target Bing

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Mark T, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi guys,

Few weeks ago I got curious AGAIN, as to how exactly do we target other search engines aside from Google. As far as we all know, when we optimize our pages using Google guidelines or ranking factors, we almost hit a huge percentage of what other SE's use as their guide in filtering results on their SERPs.

I have a few good reads of old posts below:

http://www.bing.com/community/site_...-bing-like-seo-you-bet-your-ahrefs-we-do.aspx
    http://creatingawebstore.com/bing-ranking-factors-vs-google-which-traffic-is-easier-to-get.html
    http://www.bing.com/community/site_...012/05/18/are-you-the-hunter-or-the-prey.aspx

I want to know HOW EXACTLY do we target BING search results pages. What are your thoughts? Any other references or ideas that you can share? I opened up this thread, thinking that other than answering my questions, other may also get an idea or an insight here.

Regards,
    Mark T. :)

2. MikeBFS1

MikeBFS1
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Great articles,Mark T. Thank you for the read. I don't have any references or ideas that can be shared. I wish. The best is to use third party tools to get the name on Bing. The question is...have you already attempted at trying this approach?

3. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Unfortunately, I don't think you can know EXACTLY how to target Bing's results pages, or Google's either, since there are aspects of their algorithms that they will not, and cannot reveal, just like any other company will not reveal all of their secrets. If everyone knew how a particular company makes their product, or every step of a company's processes, there would soon be no reason for that company to exist, because everyone would know how to do what they do.
    Having said that when you follow Google's guidelines, you're probably doing most of what you need to do to target other search engines as well. When I checked Bing's Webmaster Guidelines, I found the basic things to concentrate on are links, content, and social - sound familiar? Going further into technical stuff, I found things like Canonical tags, page load time and robots.txt. Getting into SEO, I found internal and external links, recommendations for making content unique and fresh, and a caution that paying for links is risky (Google is more adamant about this one). Things to avoid include cloaking, duplicate content, and link schemes.
    In short, when you do the things you need to do to target Google, you are already doing what you need to do. There is no reason to change your methods to specifically target Bing.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree with that, as I have said in my post that when we optimize for Google, we almost end up optimizing for other search engines as well. Other things that can be somehow interesting to read again, almost 2 years back on SEL about Google and Bing ranking factors: http://searchengineland.com/bing-10000-ranking-signals-google-55473

As to now, I'm really sure there are specific ways to target Bing. Though I'm not that quite really sure how and where will it differentiate to Google's guidelines, [aside from the basics of course]

5. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've heard bing and yahoo still uses the old algo so i guess having tons of backlinks still works.

6. Ted

Ted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey Mark,

Why not just go to Bing and search for the phrase - how to rank high in bing - the number one result is this - http://articlemarketingcasestudy.com/how-to-rank-high-in-bing/ - I think that is the information you are looking for.

7. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

When I read the article, two things stood out. First, the article states, "In some ways ranking on Bing seems a lot like how Google ranked pages prior to Panda" (italics mine). There's a reason why Google came up with Panda - to get rid of sites that get ranked by publishing a lot of junk articles just to send links to their site, thereby making the sites that do rank more helpful and relevant to the search. Second, "Bing pays much less attention to domain authority than Google does". In other words, you can get a lot of links from a small amount of websites, instead of spreading your links around to a greater variety of websites.
    Bing and Yahoo together get about half the searchers that Google does, so Google is still the most important Search engine to get ranked in. Based on what I see above, it seems like by targeting Bing, and doing things that Google frowns upon, you could be, as the saying goes, "shooting yourself in the foot". Targeting the right keywords in Google could bring you both more traffic and more conversions - Targeting Bing could mean harming your rankings in Google - not a good idea, in my opinion.

8. bethw

bethw
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Use keyword-based anchor text that relates to HTML titles. That means our old SEO techniques can still effect Bing's results. Publish unique content in your website and regular optimizing helps!
    You can optimize your site for both Google and Bing together.