Lenghty sales page landing pages?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by jamesreyes, Jun 8, 2010.

1. jamesreyes

jamesreyes
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,

I need to know something.

I have never understood why so many e-commerce sites use lengthy sales letter landing pages. To the best of my knowledge, landing pages should be cohesive and simple. They shouldn’t be too long. They should have relevant information above the fold. Why is it that e-commerce sites have such lengthy sales pages then? It is a pain to scroll down to find out about price, order button, etc. The process is irritating. Why do e-commerce sites have such landing pages then? Can someone enlighten me on this? Is there any specific reason behind it?

2. DavidL

DavidL
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think it may be because of the niche they are targeting. Assuming they've done some research into it, they want to keep users on the web page as long as they can, so packing information, and usually offers, on the front page keeps users on the page longer. Also, placing forms, "Enter" buttons, "Offers" etc. towards the center/bottom ensures the top part is read and that could have important news, or something which would entice a potential client.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Personally I've also often wondered why so many of those sales pages are so long and include so much text. They don't work with me and I don't purchase from them. However, many of the people who own those types of pages have put a lot of work and research into them. They have experimented with many different types of sales pages and found that those long pages work best, for the digital products they sell. In other words, they use them because they work.