Leisure and Retail Complex help!!!!

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Leroy-Allen, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Leroy-Allen

Leroy-Allen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi all!

I am hoping to set up a new business venture within the retail industry, since I have never worked in or anywhere near to retail I am looking for a little direction. Let me briefly explain my idea;

The venture is going to be an indoor retail and leisure complex that will host a range of product and service based businesses. Obviously I will contact all of the businesses I wish to host in the building and offer them an exclusive opportunity to be a part of the complex and set up a store within the complex. Here is the bits Im stuck on.. I wish to lease the building I'm going to use for the complex, is this possible or would I have to own it since I want to 'sub-lease' it so to speak to other businesses, will I be able to lease the space inside the building even though I am also leasing the overall building? If it would be possible, how would this work and what would the terms of the the lease I give to the companies in the complex have to include? I know for a building of this type the lease would have to be paid usually 6 or 12 months upfront in advance. Is there a way I could contact the businesses I wish to have inside the complex before hand and settle an agreement before I own the lease to the building or would I have to have the building already? I was thinking if there was a way I could secure the building but not pay for the lease to own it/rent it then I could speak to the participating businesses and get them to agree to be in the complex, then take their 6 months advance rent and that way I can pay for the building without needing to gather any capital for the leasing and can keep all my gathered capital for refurbishing the inside of the building and decorating. Would this work? is there anyway I could do this or something like this?

Any sort of insight or mild direction to any of the above would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

Leroy

2. ald1991

ald1991
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Sounds like you want to own a shopping mall. I would conduct research on how shopping malls are set up and how you can go about owning one.

3. atlantisrocks

atlantisrocks
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You should talk with an attorney that specializes in retail/commercial property. You don't want to make wrong assumptions that are not legally binding. The fine print in a lease could have very negative consequences.