Legal Issues

Discussion in 'Legal and HR' started by dmklawyer, Apr 18, 2010.

1. dmklawyer

dmklawyer
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello everybody. I am a recent law graduate, struggling to find a job (like many others), and have recently decided to hang up my shingle and start a practice designed to help small businesses. Right now I am trying to determine what services I can offer so that I can take continuing legal eduction etc. and be prepared for my clients.

My first question to everybody is what type of legal issues do you most frequently run into? examples would be trying to form the legal business entity (corporation, llc, partnerships agreements), contracts, real estate, legal disputes, intellectual property issues.

Which ones do you take care of on your own and which ones do you seek help from a lawyer?

If you run into a problem, and aren't sure if it involves a legal issue, would you ask your lawyer if it involves a legal issue or would you chance it out of fear of being overcharged for a non-issue?

Thank you in advanced!

2. Tecknowoman

Tecknowoman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The biggest issues I have faced in numerous businesses are;
    what legal structure for business,
    JV and partnership agreement drafting,
    employee and contractor contracts,
    lease contracts
    What would have made life so much easier would have been a lawyer who had a number of templates online that smaller businesses could start with (at a license to use fee) with a disclaimer proviso to get them checked over for your specific business and a costed service to review/approve contracts based on those templates (affordable and removes risk for business). In my experience a lot of small business are scared by lawyers and in many cases would rather risk it winging it without legal advice than risk using a lawyer.

Fair trading/compliance issues are also a biggie for various niche business such as health related areas where a low cost service/info product would be an advantage.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to our business forum dmklawyer and sorry to hear that you are finding it difficult to secure a job. I'm based in Ireland and now is an extremely difficult time for law graduates to find a job. Legal firms here were getting a lot of their work from conveyancing and were heavily dependent on the property industry. The Irish property industry has virtually collapsed and the legal firms are suffering as a result. Many legal firms have been reducing their staff numbers and are certainly not hiring at the moment. This is the first time that this has happened in Ireland, until now anyone with a degree in Law was practically guaranteed a job, if they wanted one.

As a website owner, some of the areas where I had legal concerns and could have benefited from professional advice were as follows;

• Legal issues surrounding the running of contests with cash prizes
    • Concerns re defamation, e.g. my legal position should a member post defamatory comments about an individual or a business, on the forum
    • Other concerns regarding issues that could arise from content posted by members, e.g. members who breach other people's copyright
    • Potential liability should someone receive bad advice or misinterpret advice given, here on the forum.

We do take all of the above issues seriously and have disclaimers, posting guidelines etc, to protect ourselves and our members.

Once you do start your service you'd be welcome to advertise it for free in our Free Advertising Forums and in your signature here on Business Advice Forum.

Other sites where you may be able to generate some income from providing legal advice are http://www.justanswer.com/ and http://www.liveperson.com/. These sites could also help you to get some practical experience and to gain a stronger understanding of what kind of advice businesses and individuals are willing to pay for.

It would be great to see more of your posts here on Business Advice Forum, we have many members who could benefit from your expertise and knowledge. Thanks again for joining and welcome to our community.

By the way, what country or state are you based in?

4. seanstevens

seanstevens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would guess a lot of small businesses would look for advice on employment issues, contractual issues that arise & general advice on contracts etc.

5. Terry Justice

Terry Justice
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The issues most will face are:

Business structure (LLC, INC) and how to properly file articles
    Business contracts
    Employment law

6. dmklawyer

dmklawyer
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thank you!

Wow, thank you everybody for the great advice. It is certainly nice to know that I am headed in the right direction. I will start hanging around more frequently, and maybe I can learn a thing or two more from this forum.

7. RentalLease

RentalLease
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, the only issue with being an attorney in this day and age is that with websites like legalzoom it is very hard to still be doing legal consulting work for people