Legal issues using cartoon characters in business questions....

Discussion in 'Legal and HR' started by pvgea, Jan 24, 2011.

1. pvgea

pvgea
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I seen a business for sale that i'm interested in but curious if there are legal/trademark issues. The business has cartoon characters and people can rent them out for parties and the characters show up and dance and play games etc... Now i asked the owner if they've had any issues with them and they stated that the characters have to be a certain percentage different then the original character ie: donald duck, mickey mouse etc... The characters are not named the same, but look like them. Now i'm looking for some help is this worth it, or am i looking into trouble???

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Hi pvgea, welcome to Business Advice Forum. It sounds like the existing owners of the business have already looked into the legal issues concerning these characters. Ask them for any details or specific info they have on this, perhaps they could put you in touch with the legal advisor they previously discussed it with.

If the characters are representative of a particular company, e.g. Disney, contact that company and ask them about any legal concerns they would have. It would be better to find out about these concerns before you own the business, rather than have them contact you should you decide to buy it.

3. pvgea

pvgea
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks Fergal for your input. I considered contacting Disney as some of the characters are disney characters. Like i mentioned before, i guess these charachters are a certain percentage different then the actual character, however, i wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Do you know who i'd contact or how to contact a company like Disney?

4. gakbisatidur

gakbisatidur
    uix_expand uix_collapse

i often seeing books with donald duck picture on it...i just want to know what kind of deal to get the licensed picture like that to our product

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

What country are you based in? You can get links to their various international sites via the Disney International website.

You can view some details including contact details regarding Disney's licensing requirements at http://www.fun-characters.com/license.php those details are for the Singapore, however you should be able to find the relevant details for other countries through the international site.

Alternatively you could phone your nearest Disney office and ask them for the contact details of their legal department. You probably won't get through to the right person straight away but if you make a few phone calls you will get there eventually.